PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw table doodad

NeilS
17th March 2017, 08:42 PM
I needed to replace my bandsaw table doodad (insert).

Up until now I have been making them out of plywood, but those tend to shatter if given a thump. So this time I used high density polyethylene out of an old chopping board. Easy enough done with a lathe.

Rough cut on bandsaw...

Held against the chuck jaws with friction (or use spur drive)...

Note cut in from top edge. This will later become the blade inlet, but done only part way in at this stage to make the swarf more manageable. Skip this step and you will soon know what I mean.

High density polyethylene turns very easily. The only downside is that it is very sticky, not as in wet, but electrostatically clings to everything.

Here it is done...

As you will know, the two critical dimensions are the table inlet diameter and the depth of that inlet. The inner hole is not so critical, the insert at that point just has to be just less than that to fit through.

All of the turning can be done with just a parting tool.

Here it is inserted, with a few spares, as you do...

Don't you hate it when the images are all there until you post your thread, then all you get is file names!!! ...reloaded and should be OK now.

ronboult
17th March 2017, 09:50 PM
Hi NeilS
Like your post but attachments won't load
Cheers
Ron

george mavridis
17th March 2017, 10:01 PM
Same here attachments won't load.

Oops should have read the last part of your post

cava
17th March 2017, 10:48 PM
No attachments as well.

Nubsnstubs
18th March 2017, 01:49 AM
Neil, wouldn't poly-carbonate be a better material? It's unbreakable and bullet proof if you choose to shoot your saw.:D . ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

NeilS
18th March 2017, 10:49 AM
Apologies for the missing images.

Thanks to those that let me know that this was still the case.

I've reloaded them again and they seem to have stuck this time.

Jerry - polycarbonate may also work, but I had acquired that old HDPE chopping board (a roadside pickup) so that is what I used. Most of those thick white chopping boards seem to be made from HDPE, at least down this way.

BobL
18th March 2017, 10:49 AM
Nice work on the throat plate Neil :2tsup:

Neil, wouldn't poly-carbonate be a better material? It's unbreakable and bullet proof if you choose to shoot your saw.:D . ........... Jerry (in Tucson)
A piece of PC of that thickness here, in Oz is going to be hard to come by.
I had a largish stock of 2mm thick PC but it was too flimsy/light and moved around in the socket and gets quickly cut up.
I tried to jam the plate in place with mixed success but after going through a couple I decided to look at other materials.

One problem of using a thickish throat plate is that drilling holes in it for dust escape won't be quite as effective as a thinner plate. Thin plastic with holes in it becomes even more lightweight and the suffers from the same problem as the PC described above

This is why I switched to Al. Its 6mm thick plate and like a steel throat plate has two tightish fitting grub screws near the outer rim to prevent the plate from turning.
The holes have some counter sinking to aid air flow (mini bell mouths) although it won't be much
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=376075&d=1459849020

I made this plate on a MW lathe but it's probably possible to do it on a WW lathe. A good lube/coolant for Al is meths which leaves no mess.

Big Shed
18th March 2017, 11:04 AM
Made my replacement for the cheapie original from 6mm Aluminium as well, has lasted a long time so far

NeilS
18th March 2017, 11:20 AM
...I switched to Al...

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=376075&d=1459849020

I made this plate on a MW lathe but it's probably possible to do it on a WW lathe. A good lube/coolant for Al is meths which leaves no mess.

Yes, Bob, aluminium and brass are both better options. I did look around my workshop for some suitable plate size in those materials, but didn't have any to hand. Both will turn OK on the WW lathe. Brass is the better of the two. I've never bothered with lube. A fine file will remove any chatter marks as you finish to dimension.

Why manufacturers don't provide some spare throat plates with a bandsaw that you have paid a grand or two for beats me, given that they are all CCM'd and the extra cost of the tool wear, material and labour would be next to nothing.

orraloon
18th March 2017, 11:37 AM
Nice doodads. Thats on my to do list.
Regards
John

ronboult
18th March 2017, 12:49 PM
Thanks for fixing the photos.

You have inspired me to make some new inserts for my bandsaw. The supplied one is too thin and warped and items passed across it sometimes catch
Ron

turnerted
19th March 2017, 04:14 PM
Looks good Neil .
I did much the same but I had a bit of PVC sheet of the right thickness .
Ted