PDA

View Full Version : Carvers Mallet

mitch59
18th March 2017, 04:10 PM
I am looking to turn a carvers mallet, the 2 best bits i have laying around are Iron Bark or Merbau.
Looking for any thoughts or words of wisdom.

pommyphil
18th March 2017, 04:20 PM
I've made a few Ironbark mallets for around the shed. Everything would depend on the type of work your doing, chisel size, wood hardness.etc.
One piece mallets are quick and easy to make, just make a few and see what you like.

Phil.

cava
18th March 2017, 04:44 PM
I am looking to turn a carvers mallet, the 2 best bits i have laying around are Iron Bark or Merbau.
Looking for any thoughts or words of wisdom.
Why not do both?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th March 2017, 02:30 AM
The Ironbark would make a nice, heavy mallet which means you could make a smaller head than a merbau one for the same weight. If you like smaller heads, that is.

I'd go for both... that way you can decide which you prefer in use. You can always remount and make them smaller if you so desire.

Personally I like to laminate up my mallets with a good hard'n'heavy handle and softer, "sacrificial" wood for the striking face.

My fave has an ironbark handle with cedar facing, which probably isn't the most suitable but I work in a joinery so I have a ready, steady access to replacement cedar offcuts and it's only the work of a few minutes to refurbish and leave for the glue to dry overnight for a quick bout on the lathe at the start of the next days' work.

It's great for chisel work and persuading obstinate joints to behave without marring the work.

My next favourite is a solid, one piece bluegum mallet, which comes into use when the other isn't quite... ermm... persuasive enough.

Big A
20th March 2017, 07:39 AM
"My next favourite is a solid, one piece bluegum mallet, which comes into use when the other isn't quite... ermm... persuasive enough."

Yep - don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

Alister.