PDA

View Full Version : Help - Changing Drive Belt on a Carba Tec mini lathe

Dave Reed
18th March 2017, 05:10 PM
Can anyone help with the best way to remove the shaft so I can change the belt on my lathe

BobL
18th March 2017, 05:23 PM
There should be a grub screw on the external shiny round handle/knob and one on the pulley.
Remove those and then pull the handle off and knock the spindle through the pulley with a wooden hammer

Rod Gilbert
18th March 2017, 06:27 PM
Bob is right on the money I have just done the exact same lathe and simple to do.
Regards Rod.

Dave Reed
19th March 2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks gents, but I tried removing grub screws and still couldn't budge the chrome hand wheel from the shaft. Did a little more research on the forum and Youtube and found that there are circlips on the inside edges of the bearings holding the shaft in place and the hand wheel is screwed onto the shaft rather than a press fit (explains why I could not punch the shaft through the hand wheel with a dead fall hammer and increasingly heavy blows and lots of swearing). To further complicate matters the hand wheel is also screwed on with a left hand thread rather than the standard.
It seems that there must be many variations on the base design as the extra information I found didn't relate directly to the Carba Tec 1018 but to a look-a-like with a different trade name (Central Machinery 65345) - bit of a trap for unwary players
Now all I have to do is find a supplier for a quality replacement belt