PDA

View Full Version : New lathe

Charlie's Shed
20th March 2017, 08:12 PM
Good evenings all, I'm looking to buying my my first lathe, I love to buy a Vicmarc, but as it's my first lathe, its out of my range. So I'm looking to spend around $1000? I would using it to turn bowls etc and would like a variable speed instead of manual belt change. Any recommendations?

orraloon
21st March 2017, 11:35 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum,
I would suggest finding your local turning club and getting a bit of hands on first. For a few reasons. Turning is quite a learning curve so having tried it a bit you will be better placed to pick out the lathe you need. You will get some good coaching and those people will be more in the know for sniffing out a lathe and the other things you will need, like tools and a grinder to sharpen them. You will also have more time to save a bit more dosh for a good lathe. Remember the lathe is only part of the picture as the tools cost a bit also. I did it the hard way by myself and 40 year old memories at turning at school. Well after about a year I was trading up to a better lathe and kicking myself for some poor choices in tools. I still enjoyed the ride but it could have been done easier.
Regards
John

Charlie's Shed
21st March 2017, 01:35 PM
Thank you John for your advise. I've attending a couple of bowl turning courses and they say I should try and save up for a Vicmarc. But because this is my first lathe, I don't want to over spend. In regards to tools etc, I've set my budget at $300-400 for these. I believe I can buy myself a good set of 6 for these. I'm also setting aside money for a ginder.

old1955
21st March 2017, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Sawdust Maker
21st March 2017, 07:32 PM
two of these are still available
I've seen the little one and in my opinion would be a good buy

here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f275/3x-woodfast-wood-lathes-212555)

Paul39
22nd March 2017, 06:10 AM
I have a 20 something year old Woodfast 20 inch swing short bed lathe with a US installed variable speed DC motor. The step pulleys were retained so that when I have a gnarly out of balance stump on I can slow it way down and knock off the chunks sticking out.

The old Woodfasts are bullet proof and wonderful to use. I paid $850 US for it about 3 years ago. Considering how little one gets for $850 in a new lathe these days it was a steal. It was undamaged and complete, but rusty with head and tail centers and hand wheel rusted in place. A weekend of penetrating oil, heating, and judicious bashing, with a few intemperate words got everything apart. Then all rotating parts were treated with 320 grit sandpaper and light oil and it looked and ran very well.

I think an AU made Woodfast in decent condition is the best lathe for money spent.

Photo of mine below.

NeilS
22nd March 2017, 04:29 PM

I think an AU made Woodfast in decent condition is the best lathe for money spent.

Yes, Paul, but they are becoming very hard to come by, even down here.

Worth considering is the Woodfast Model M305X Midi Wood Lathefor $1250. They're​ currently out of stock, but worth enquiring when they will be next available. Don't be put off by the size. They are mighty little lathes and can do much more than you would expect. People often keep them even when they buy a larger lathe. Ideal for transporting to woodturning get-to-gethers.

The entry point for the baby Vicmarc is a bit further up market.

Stay sharp!

Neil

george mavridis
22nd March 2017, 05:28 PM
Charlie
I have a as new grinding jig from South East Qld woodworkingsupplies. similar to the wolverine jig that I can seel you if you want to go that way. PM if interested and Ican send pics with price.

http://www.woodworkingsuppliesqld.com.au/Sharpening-Grinding/Wolverine-type-gring-jig (http://www.woodworkingsuppliesqld.com.au/Sharpening-Grinding/Wolverine-type-gring-jig)

tony_A
22nd March 2017, 09:53 PM
Like you I am new to woodturning. I have been watching gumtree for months and recently picked up a used woodfast. Its in excellent condition and came with few accessories. I never considered a new lathe.

Christos
23rd March 2017, 06:53 AM
I also started with a second hand lathe which I actually restored, not very hard to do.

The tools I purchase individually when I needed them as I came across some second hand lathe tools.

NeilS
23rd March 2017, 11:06 AM
...tools etc, I've set my budget at $300-400 for these. I believe I can buy myself a good set of 6 for these.

I've never been a fan of buying tools that come in sets. They rarely all get used and are usually purchased before you know what you most need.

If you are starting on spindle turning; buy a good skew chisel and bowl gouge. The bowl gouge will suffice as a roughing gouge and spindle gouge. The skew will also do some roughing cuts and parting off. Add a spindle gouge later on after borrowing someone else's to see if you need it. Parting tools are readily made by yourself.

If you are starting on bowls a good bowl gouge and skew chisel are all you need. An half inch bowl gouge is a good starting size. I mostly prefer 5/8" gouges, but still use my 1/2" gouge, so buy a good one. The bowl gouge does your cutting and scraping. A bowl gouge used in scraper mode can do most of your internal scraping, likewise on the outside, or do it with the skew on the outside. Add a dedicated scraper later on if you feel the need. I prefer scraper tips to bars as an articulated tip provides better angles for shear-scraping. The main use of the skew in bowl turning is for forming jaw recesses and tenons.

If you can buy a bunch of good secondhand tools, do so, but the problem for a new turner is knowing which ones are quality and also their true worth. Such offerings are invariably of mixed quality and most will end up in the unused box, which increases the individual price you have paid for those that you continue to use.

Should some tools come with a secondhand lathe then that is a bonus, just don't pay too much for them without advice from forum members here on what they are worth.

Buying quality tools one at a time is my recommended approach.

Other experienced turners may give you different advice, but that is my take on buying turning tools.

Stay sharp!

Neil

Sawdust Maker
24th March 2017, 09:26 AM
I also started with a second hand lathe which I actually restored, not very hard to do.

The tools I purchase individually when I needed them as I came across some second hand lathe tools.

Have you learned to sharpen them yet?

Gabriel
25th March 2017, 08:20 AM
I just noticed carbatec are running a 33% off what they deem classic machinery. I'd go for a woodfast 305 at that price. Lets you dip your toe in, and as previously stated, when/if you upgrade a small lathe is still very handy to have around (I have kept my midi and find it invaluable)