PDA

View Full Version : Shower screen advice

Arron
10th September 2005, 09:40 AM
Hi. I'm wanting to put up a shower screen. It wont be the type with a door - it will be just two vertically oriented blades of glass, mounted in an overlapping manner such that you walk between them to get into the shower. I'll be using 10mm toughened glass - 1800 x 600 and 1800 x 450. I presume I'll be fixing them with metal fittings at two points on the wall and one point on the floor each. The walls and floors are tiled. I am very hesitant to drill holes in the floor because of all the work that went into waterproofing, but dont mind too much drilling into the walls. I want to use the smallest, neatest fittings available to give - as much as possible - a clean, minimalist effect. I went to the local glass shop and they were helpful but their solutions just didnt quite do it for me.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to do this - or especially advice on pitfalls ?

Also, can anyone point me to a source for some good fittings. The ones I have seen I just didnt think were really elegant.

thanks
Arron

Clinton1
10th September 2005, 04:34 PM
I think that what I'm picturing from your description would look fantastic.
However.... I have a aluminium-framed glass shower enclosure on tiles, and it sucks.
It seems that I'll need to reseal the inside to stop water leaking through a few times a year. It really floods out between the frame and the grout lines of the tiles. The hinged glass door lets lots of water through.
If I had to do it all over I would have a tiled ridge/wall around the shower floor, with the glass lapping over it at the bottom. This would do a better job of stopping any water.
You may be set up in a different manner, but mopping or doing the 'stand on a towel and shuffle' after each shower gets really tiring after a while.
Will the area between your two 'blades of glass' be the towel and change area??

Have fun,
Clinton