PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 9ppi and 11ppi handsaws - 24" to 26"

Dogman
25th March 2017, 08:03 AM
Hi all,

I would like to buy a good condition, straight, pre-1930's 9ppi handsaw and an 11ppi handsaw in 24" to 26" in length. Disston #12, #16 would be great, but #8 or #7 also fine. Simonds and Atkins etc also good.

Only need one one good, straight user of each with a good amount of blade left.

I am happy to refurb, re-shape and sharpen if it's a bit unloved. Not so keen on straightening kinked blades or complete retoothing though.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

ian
25th March 2017, 10:13 AM
Curious, why the preference for a pre-1930s saw?

The best value is possibly a modern hardware store saw with an after market handle

Dogman
25th March 2017, 01:00 PM
Hhhmmm, I'm guessing that with 7700+ posts, and as someone who "used to live just north of Sydney Harbour", you're taking the . If so, nice one.

If not, then let's just say that I love the saws from the Golden Era of saw making very, very much.

I am am keen to pay well for any saws from that era in good condition, as it is my view they are truly value for money.

Cheers,
Dave

ian
25th March 2017, 01:53 PM
wasn't taking the ...
more just curious as to the specificity for manufacturing date when looking for a pair of user saws.

For me, after sharp, the most important characteristic for a user saw is how it feels in the hand. Perhaps because I'm not a collector :wink: I'm unaware of a significant change in saw handle design after 1930?

FenceFurniture
25th March 2017, 01:58 PM
Bushmiller is probably your go-to guy.

rob streeper
25th March 2017, 02:00 PM
Look for a decent Disston No. 12 from the 1896-1917 period, they're the most consistent in my testing.

Bushmiller
25th March 2017, 02:24 PM
Hello Dogman

Fence Furniture gave me a heads up on this one. I will send a PM as it is possible I can help depending on what exactly you are chasing.

Regards
Paul

Dogman
25th March 2017, 09:41 PM
Thanks Bushy. I got into your Simonds thread a couple of years ago, as I have a lovely Simonds saw that cuts and sings beautifully. I bought another 2 soon after, but they're don't have the same magic. To be embarrassingly honest, I don't know their respective models, so will have to check, now that your thread is so much more advanced.

Im not too concerned with makes and models though, as they are purely users. I just like my saws to do their intended job very well. And without using every saw, the make and model route does help narrow things down a little.

I wil will get back to your pm shortly with more info.

Thanks again,
Dave

rob streeper
26th March 2017, 06:57 AM
I just ran some statistics on the hardness variability of Golden Era No. 12's vs. other Disston Golden Era saws. They're about 60% more uniform and the difference is statistically significant. The numbers are here http://www.woodworkforums.com/f278/hardening-sawplates-182165/22#post2014886 at post #317 if you're interested.