PDA

View Full Version : [MEL] HDPE Tube Diameter (100 to 150mm) 1 metre length

Bismar
26th March 2017, 10:03 AM
Hi all,

I am interested in buying some HDPE offcuts for a project and have trouble finding small lengths of this.

I am after a 1 metre length of HDPE tube/ Blue strip poly tube in diameter 100mm to 150mm.

Alternatively, if you know any business around Coburg that would sell offcuts, it will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Bismar

Chrism3
26th March 2017, 10:19 AM
Why Coburg? Your location is shown as Canberra!
Plenty of HDPE offerings on ebay.

BobL
26th March 2017, 10:32 AM
I doubt you will find many businesses that keep off cuts.

150 mm pipe is usually purchased in 6M lengths (their price is ~$50) and delivered/taken direct to sites where it is cut up and used.
Short offcuts are not worth keeping and usually end up in the builders skip. Longer offcuts may be kept by the plumbers.
Bunnings sells 1m lengths of 150mm pipe for a whole $23. It's a rip off price but it should be clean and may save you a lot of running around time and fuel.

Whoops I just realised you are after HDPE.
The biggest blue line I can see on the catalog is 110mm and as you probably know it comes in 100 m rolls.
For this you will have to approach a pipe supplier and find out who buys from them and see it f they will sell you a metre

cava
26th March 2017, 12:09 PM
Try plumbing suppliers on the urban/rural fringe of Melbourne. Out in country Vic, it is readily available from irrigation suppliers.

Bismar
26th March 2017, 12:38 PM
Oops forgot to change my location.

I haven't had much luck with suppliers for the size I am after, but I am probably calling the wrong guys.

I haven't been able to locate any HDPE tube in the size and lengths I am after on ebay, although there is one seller I have contacted to see if he will sell me a shorter length.

Thanks for the advice thus far guys!

BobL
26th March 2017, 01:31 PM
Back in 1985 I bought a 6m length of 150mm black HDPE pipe for a custom fume bay/hood I was building at uni and we used ~2 m and the rest sat in a store room for 20 odd years and eventually got chucked out during a clean up. If I had been around during the clean up I would have snaffled it and almost certainly had it now. It was quite thick walled - something like 12 mm.

NCArcher
26th March 2017, 01:51 PM
What are you intending to use it for?
You could probably get offcuts of different material without too much trouble. Does it have to be HDPE?

dcarbonetti
27th March 2017, 09:15 AM
tried giving ibex or clover a call?
IbexAustralia: (Tullamarine) 1300 854 520
Cloverpipe: (Campbellfield) 8373 80001300 854 520

Bismar
15th April 2017, 01:40 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Went on holidays soon after i posted the thread, so didn't get a chance to say thanks.

Turns out HDPE tube at those sizes are prohibitively expensive, even offcuts.

Managed to find a used HDPE barrel instead to salvage material from. These things are apparently quite commonly used in the food industry. That's the best bet if anyone else is ever looking for largish HDPE tubes.