PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a dado set.

blackjaffa
1st April 2017, 10:52 PM
After much thought I bought a sawstop job site saw, now I am looking for a decent dado set.

What do you recommend and where to buy?

Tibecon have torquate for $169.

Carbatec have cmt for $350.

Why such a big difference in price on those 2 brands?

ian
2nd April 2017, 02:20 AM
from here,
the Timbercon offering appears to be made in China, while the CMT is made in Italy.

the Torquata has 12 teeth per blade, the CMT has 24 -- the edges cut by the CNT blade should be cleaner.

the Torquata has 5 two tooth chip breakers, the CMT has 6 four tooth chip breakers.

the CMT comes with shims, the Torquata doesn't appear to do so -- shims should make allow you more options in the width of the trench.

But
do you really need a dado blade?
If there are lots of box joints in your future, then a dedicated box joint cutting blade might be a better choice.
https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Joint-Cutter-Joints-SBOX8/dp/B000ASGV1E
Forest and CMT make similar sets.

blackjaffa
2nd April 2017, 12:47 PM
from here,
the Timbercon offering appears to be made in China, while the CMT is made in Italy.

the Torquata has 12 teeth per blade, the CMT has 24 -- the edges cut by the CNT blade should be cleaner.

the Torquata has 5 two tooth chip breakers, the CMT has 6 four tooth chip breakers.

the CMT comes with shims, the Torquata doesn't appear to do so -- shims should make allow you more options in the width of the trench.

But
do you really need a dado blade?
If there are lots of box joints in your future, then a dedicated box joint cutting blade might be a better choice.
https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Joint-Cutter-Joints-SBOX8/dp/B000ASGV1E
Forest and CMT make similar sets.
How do the box joint blades work? I understand how dado blades work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NCArcher
2nd April 2017, 02:36 PM
I had a CMT which was good. Gave a nice clean cut.
You know you have to purchase a different SS cartridge for a dado set right?

blackjaffa
2nd April 2017, 02:41 PM
I had a CMT which was good. Gave a nice clean cut.
You know you have to purchase a different SS cartridge for a dado set right?
Yes i know about the dado cartridge. As usual buying one tool leads to 10 accessories and another tool.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ian
2nd April 2017, 03:10 PM
try these instructions http://go.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000537AA.pdf

At least one of the box joint sets -- Freud, Forest or CMT -- can also be used with shims to cut box joints slightly wider than 1/4 or 3/8 inches

crowie
2nd April 2017, 03:19 PM
I got a Feurd set off Amazon delivered fit $185 about 18months ago.

Gwhat
2nd April 2017, 05:55 PM
Hi

As a middle of the road Dado, THIS (http://woodworksupplies.com.au/freud-pro-dado-set-200mm) is quite a good seller for us. Never had a complaint and good value at $259

Regards

Grahame

brownie98
2nd April 2017, 10:26 PM
I can vouch for the CMT also. Also the new rockler miter fold dado set just came out. Looks good but pricey.

ian
3rd April 2017, 05:46 AM
How do the box joint blades work? I understand how dado blades work.this page from Lee Valley about the Forest box joint blade Forrest Finger Joint Set - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=59404&cat=1,41080,41165&ap=1) (click on View immediately under the price line) might be a little clearer

ian
3rd April 2017, 06:36 AM
now this is a interesting jig https://www.infinitytools.com/saw-blades-accessories/table-saw/table-saw-blades/flat-top-saw-blades/microjig-matchfit-dado-stop

I've started a new thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/jig-dado-cuts-table-213212#post2016173 for any discussion

barri
9th October 2017, 09:13 PM
I wanted to reopen this thread as I'm after a good dado set.

I've just read many posts on dado stacks and finding a good valued product is really difficult and confusing.

CMT.... $349 ($290 Amazon) but has 24 teeth and full size chippers have 4. Quality case from Amazon not Carbatec. Good reviews. Good quality
Oshlun .... $150 (Amazon) 24 teeth and 6 tooth full size chippers in a quality case.Hundreds of good reviews
Freud SD208 pro Dado ... $250 in Australia but about $170 from Amazon. Less teeth on blades and chippers. Good reviews. Middle level quality
Dewalt ... ($190 Amazon) Similar specs to CMT. Good reviews
Freud SD508 $311 (Amazon) Similar spcs to CMT . Top of the range quality
Torquata $149 Timbecon 12 teeth and less teeth on undersized chippers. Seems to be less quality

Note that not only does Amazon have a better range the're much cheaper . Sometimes $80 cheaper. Its hard to ignore. The price includes delivery.

So it appears the higher quality sets have more teeth, full size chippers, better shims and a more sturdy protection case. Price ranges from $150 to well over $300. I'm happy to pay $300 for quality but I'm not sure I can get "comparable" quality for less. I'm after a flat bottom, longevity, staying sharper for longer and clean sides.

I'm assuming more teeth will have a cleaner cut and full size chippers provide a better balance when stacking.

I'm leaning towards the CMT from Amazon (not Carbatec) or Freud SD 508 at the higher end but the other 24 teeth brands also look really good. I'm sure I'd be happy with the "lower" end Freud as mentioned above.

Any advice on this would be appreciated

planemaker
18th October 2017, 05:35 PM
Have you considered this option. https://www.timbecon.com.au/sawing/circular-saw-blades/flat-top-dado-saw-blade

aldav
18th October 2017, 06:58 PM
Have you considered this option. https://www.timbecon.com.au/sawing/circular-saw-blades/flat-top-dado-saw-blade

It's a single blade, not a stack, at a not particularly attractive price compared to the other products listed. :?

barri
19th October 2017, 06:50 PM
I ended up buying the Freud SD 508 for about $300 delivered from Amazon. The only complaints I read are about the box it comes in. Who cares. I'll make my own box anyway but you would have a thought that a quality product from a quality company like Freud would have a decent box. They need a good case to protect and separate the brittle carbide teeth from the different blades. Arriving tomorrow and looking forward to having a play. I'll do a review after a few trial cuts.

cava
23rd December 2017, 10:21 AM
Arriving tomorrow and looking forward to having a play. I'll do a review after a few trial cuts.
Have you had a play with it yet?

barri
24th December 2017, 10:26 AM
Yes and its brilliant. Perfect flat bottoms and sides. I made a board with trial cuts made with the various combinations of chippers. I used cheap plywood but you can see the smoothness and squareness of the cuts. On pine and oak the cuts were perfect.

Having said all that and being delighted with it, I have one massive problem. I can't use it. :(( I just replaced my table saw with a Sawstop and guess what, they don't recommend the Freud SD508 because of its weight. It wont slow the blade down fast enough to prevent injury and because of that weight the arbor might get damaged if the brake trips. I know I can use the SS in bypass mode but that takes away the reason I bought it in the first place. After speaking to Sawstop directly they gave me a list of dado blades that are suitable, one of which is the Dewalt DW7670 which has obtained great reviews but once again not available in Aus. So I ordered it from Amazon

So having just spent over $300 on a top of the range Freud dado set I now can't use it. So I guess I'll have to sell it. What a disappointment!

I'll put it on the market place thread for $150 plus postage which might be high due to the weight of the box. Anyone interested?

crowie
24th December 2017, 10:37 AM
Having said all that and being delighted with it, I have one massive problem. I can't use it. :(( I just replaced my table saw with a Sawstop and guess what, they don't recommend the Freud SD508 because of its weight. It wont slow the blade down fast enough to prevent injury and because of that weight the arbor might get damaged if the brake trips. I know I can use the SS in bypass mode but that takes away the reason I bought it in the first place. After speaking to Sawstop directly they gave me a list of dado blades that are suitable, one of which is the Dewalt DW7670 which has obtained great reviews but once again not available in Aus. So I ordered it from Amazon

So having just spent over $300 on a top of the range Freud dado set I now can't use it. So I guess I'll have to sell it. What a disappointment!

I'll put it on the market place thread for $150 plus postage which might be high due to the weight of the box. Anyone interested?

I'd be interested in that dado set for $150 sir, as I have the SD208 dado set I use on my Bosch Contractors table saw.... cheers, crowie

barri
24th December 2017, 02:54 PM
Send me a PM with your details

crowie
24th December 2017, 03:20 PM
Sent, thank you "barri"...cheers. crowie

barri
24th December 2017, 03:37 PM
Didn't get the PM "crowie". Are you sure you sent it?

crowie
24th December 2017, 05:15 PM
Sent, thank you "barri"...cheers. crowie

Redone sir....