PDA

View Full Version : extended teknatool

chuck1
3rd April 2017, 05:16 AM
I finally started extending the old teknatool I can now turn about 1.7 metres long.
I used two headstocks and my first turning was a 1.4 newel post to give it a rest run.
All went well, I didn't have time to press the new bearings in on the tail stick end the plan is to have a pedestal tool rest forfaceplate turning.
Stay dusty everyone

hughie
3rd April 2017, 05:54 AM
The extension looks very sturdy and using another headstock is a good idea. I wonder how the harmonics go with the long SHS? Be interested to see how it goes with other jobs.

powderpost
3rd April 2017, 09:19 PM
Those TL1000 lathes were good value.

Jim

Chris Parks
3rd April 2017, 10:49 PM
I was with my Dad when he bought his Teknatool all those years ago and went to pick it up at Illawarra Wood Turning in Corrimal and they had set one up to turn surf boat oars. To do that they built brick pillars for mid supports and the head and tail stocks also sat on brick pillars if my fuzzy memory is working. God knows how long it was but I can clearly recall the chap selling it saying that with a length of 100 x100 RHS you could build a lathe to any length you could fit in the shed.

chuck1
4th April 2017, 09:39 AM
That's where I did my apprenticeship, I remember we used about 8 metres of that big lathe.
I wanted to go longer but I was just using what I had on hand and had to get my tame metal worker to weld up the framework I cut up, I could of had another 1.5 metres on it.
With more welding but had to get the posts turned.
I paid 200 for one lathe in bits with a 2.4 metre bar and 600 for the one on the bench with chuck and other tools.
Also have 3 toolkit stocks and got one tig welded which is in storage.
The tailstock needs realigning but that can wait.

chuck1
4th April 2017, 09:48 AM
I have some framing pine to put between floor and bed if needs be. I used the headstocks to save having to get nuts welded in the end of steel bar for that silly bolt on foot.
The steel stand is dynabolted to floor and bolted to shed post
In other news I bought a 6 tonne press ages ago just in case and it made short work to get bearings and shaft out the new bearings were $13 each from engineering shop. Just have to russel up a new belt or 2

chuck1
4th April 2017, 09:52 AM
Not many people like them these days because of the bed. But for 800 bucks where are you going to get a lathe this long:-D

I have a leady lathe for smaller work

powderpost
4th April 2017, 08:53 PM
From an unreliable memory, the TL1000 sold for about $580.00 in the late 80's.

Jim

chuck1
5th April 2017, 02:44 PM
From an unreliable memory, the TL1000 sold for about $580.00 in the late 80's.

Jim

That would of been bare lathe price, they were abit more in the late 80's till they changed models to the round twin bars.
I was lucky as I got chuck, chisels, drill chuck and other things with the 600 bucks :-D

John Saxton
5th April 2017, 09:09 PM
Those TL1000 lathes were good value.

Jim

I still have one of these with the outboard attachment,Turned a fair bit of wood back in the day but I probably need to replace the headstock bearings .Currently use a Jet lathe as the main goto these days as it has the exended bed if needed.

Cheers

chuck1
5th April 2017, 10:40 PM
I still have one of these with the outboard attachment,Turned a fair bit of wood back in the day but I probably need to replace the headstock bearings .Currently use a Jet lathe as the main goto these days as it has the exended bed if needed.

Cheers

It was ok doing the bearings $13 each at engineering shop here and my trusty 6 tonne press. And 20 minutes
My lathe had an easy life till I bought it!

artme
8th April 2017, 09:17 PM
I have a twin bar Tl1200. Good unit except that it oscillates under a heavy uneven load so i avoid that!!

Mr Unknown
11th April 2017, 10:40 AM
I just picked one of these up for $180 a couple weeks ago with a 2hp motor, scroll chuck, cup chuck, faceplate and drill chuck, might look at extending it myself as its a good idea.