PDA

View Full Version : Three Tier Cake Stand

Big A
3rd April 2017, 08:40 PM
I have built a 3 tier stand for a friend to use at cancer morning teas. The plates are Jaca and the support is Silky Oak. Unfortunately I had to use a different log for the top plate and it is a slightly different colour. The bottom two are the same, but may not look it in the photo. It is supposed to be 390mm high, but I have made it a bit higher. Bottom plate is around 270mm.

I wanted to make it so it could be disassembled for storage, so it has a 6mm all thread bolt up the guts, with a long nut Araldited in the top knobby piece.

Now I have to decide what finish to use. I have DO, BLO, WOP gloss and mineral oil available, but am open to other suggestions. In fact, the point of the post is to solicit suggestions.

Last year, I donated a few bowls to use for raffles and they were appreciated. I would have expect a big donation to cancer to part with this though.

Cheers,
Alister.

Edit. Just looked at the photo - the support looks bigger that in real life!

Nubsnstubs
4th April 2017, 01:19 AM
Al, that's a good idea. I'm going to copy it. I do have to ask Why are the plates dished if this is for a cake? Wouldn't it have been better to have flat topped plates for easier cake removal or is this going to be used for cookies with the early morning tea? ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Big A
4th April 2017, 09:22 AM
Jerry,
I got the image off Google images, so you might be able to find it. The plates were flat in that, but because of the way I wanted to make the thing, I had to have at least 45mm or about 1 and 3/4 inches of thickness in the middle, as I thought it would be a bit wobbly otherwise. I allowed 15mm for the sockets for the tenons and 15mm for meat between the sockets. With that and the size of the middle and top plates, it did not allow me much room for flatness.

Maybe I could have done it differently, but I have difficulty conceptualising and have to make it as I go along. I tend to go for strength and function over form and thus might be a bit more agricultural than arty! The ladies can work out what goes where.

Alister.