PDA

View Full Version : Three little pigs.

powderpost
11th April 2017, 09:32 PM
Just finished a couple of complex projects, been to Turnfest, and started to clean up again. Came across three bowl blanks that I had cut from offcuts, sitting there minding their own business. THe first one is Mexican cedar about 200mm diameter and 75mm deep. The second one is camphor laurel about the same size and the third one is also camphor laurel. It is 160mm diameter and 90mm deep. They looked a bit plain and I needed a glue fix so I fitted some veneer banding to them. The banding is some left over comercial stuff left over from other jobs. They all had the grain filled with sanding sealer and a sprayed coat of lacquer. I feel better now.....

Jim

Picko
11th April 2017, 10:23 PM
Quality as usual Jim. Where do you source that style of banding.

Cheers John

Cliff Rogers
11th April 2017, 10:39 PM
Glue sniffer.

powderpost
12th April 2017, 11:13 AM
Quality as usual Jim. Where do you source that style of banding.

Cheers John

John, you can get veneer bandings from "Goods and Chattels", in Brisbane or have a look here https://www.veneerinlay.com.au/

Jim

Paul39
12th April 2017, 11:28 AM
Jim,

Nice pieces, I like the little swirl on the middle one. Do you cut a recess for the commercial banding, or glue it on the surface? I have no clue as to how thick it is.

I have been collecting plywood off cuts from a CNC sign router down the street. They are 7 layer 3/4 inch thick. I plan on gluing enough layers to make a bowl blank. What glue would you suggest. I'm in the USA so type rather than brand name would be helpful.

Thanks.

Kidbee
12th April 2017, 02:03 PM
Jim, the banding gives them a classic look. I like it.

george mavridis
12th April 2017, 04:11 PM
Jim
How do you go where the 2 ends of the band meet, does it line up or you need to fiddle a bit.

Cliff Rogers
12th April 2017, 05:13 PM
.... you need to fiddle a bit.
We are talking about a man who cuts trees into tiny pieces & then glues them back together in different shapes. :D

powderpost
12th April 2017, 08:28 PM
Jim, Do you cut a recess for the commercial banding, or glue it on the surface? I have no clue as to how thick it is.

I have been collecting plywood off cuts from a CNC sign router down the street. They are 7 layer 3/4 inch thick. I plan on gluing enough layers to make a bowl blank. What glue would you suggest. I'm in the USA so type rather than brand name would be helpful.
Thanks.

Paul, the commercially made veneer banding is generally about 0.6mm thick, (about 1/32"). I make my own bandings now and usually go for 1mm. The banding is set into a shallow groove cut with a parting tool.
I would suggest you use Titebond 2.

Jim

powderpost
12th April 2017, 08:33 PM
Jim
How do you go where the 2 ends of the band meet, does it line up or you need to fiddle a bit.

I fiddle a bit, some would say too much. :-) Don't be rude!!!!! :-) How much "fiddling" depends on the banding pattern. Often I need to cut the groove a bit deeper to get the pattern to match. Must be careful to leave enought wall thickness to cope with that.

Jim

smiife
12th April 2017, 08:54 PM
Hi jim, very nice, the bands certainly lift them to another level
Well done:2tsup:

Mobyturns
19th April 2017, 11:24 PM
I fiddle a bit, some would say too much. :-) Don't be rude!!!!! :-) How much "fiddling" depends on the banding pattern. Often I need to cut the groove a bit deeper to get the pattern to match. Must be careful to leave enought wall thickness to cope with that.

Jim

Or else the banding ends up on the inside of the bowl. :doh:

Very nice work as always.

Christos
20th April 2017, 07:38 AM
For me the first one really stands out as the banding seems to match the bowl perfectly.