PDA

View Full Version : Router bit selection help

Slimguy12
12th April 2017, 10:51 PM
I've been searching to find a router bit for making these raised panels, rails, and stiles. I've had no luck hoping somebody can help me.

Slimguy12
12th April 2017, 10:52 PM
How do I add a photo?

woodPixel
12th April 2017, 11:27 PM
I'm just about to buy a bunch of bits off MLCS. Their selection is amazing.

MLCS, Armana, Freud, Yonico, Carbitool are my favourites.

Please steer away from cheapo no name eBay ones. They will leave you in tears.

Slimguy12
13th April 2017, 02:10 AM
I appreciate the list but I'm want to post a picture of a specific cabinet door I'm trying to match. Found 1 of 3 bits I think will do the job and looking for some outside eyes

Lappa
13th April 2017, 11:22 AM
I may be wrong but I believe that has to be activated by the Admin for new members.
If not, click "Go Advanced" and go to "Manage Attachments" and upload the photo from there.

A Duke
13th April 2017, 11:59 AM
Hi,
You need a set of three bits for that job. A panel raising bit, a bit for the rails and stiles and a bit to fit the rails to the stiles, the last two are sold as a pair.
Regards

Slimguy12
13th April 2017, 12:04 PM
Might help if I had it on full site mode. Thanks for the instructions. Ok this is the door I want to copy (client took it bad angle i know) hoping I can do it without having to change bits for the same cuts (2 different bits for stiles etc.) please let me know what you guys come up with I found a bit for the outside edge of the rails and stiles and can't match anything else.

ian
13th April 2017, 12:57 PM
Ok this is the door I want to copy (client took it bad angle i know)
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=410169&d=1492045183
hoping I can do it without having to change bits for the same cuts (2 different bits for stiles etc.) please let me know what you guys come up with I found a bit for the outside edge of the rails and stiles and can't match anything else.It looks to me as though those doors are made from MDF. I suppose that you don't have a picture of the back of the door?

This is what I think has been done.
The raised panel has been created using a shaper or two different router bits. One for the bevel and a second for the cove "step". I can't see a Carb-i-tool or CMT bit with the profile you're after.
I think the raised panel is sitting in a plain square edged rebate and is held in place by the bead on the inside edge of the rail and style -- which would simplify the rail/style joint.
I think you said that you have found a bit for the outside profile.