PDA

View Full Version : Bowl blanks

Charlie's Shed
16th April 2017, 01:37 PM
Can anyone help with advice where to buy seasoned bowl blanks? I live in Brisbane.
Does anyone know any Australian company who sells online?

Cheers,

dai sensei
16th April 2017, 01:43 PM
Maleny Wood show is on at the end of this month and there will be plenty there.

South East Queensland Woodturning supplies, and the Wood Turning Supplies shop in the Gap also sells some.

What are you after, I sell blanks of all sizes and types (currently ~11 ton in 230 species ranging from only pen blanks up to whole trees), but I am on the Gold Coast. Welcome to come and have a look anytime and share a chat over a coffee/tea etc. I also have many cast and stabilised timbers.

PM me for details if interested.

Charlie's Shed
16th April 2017, 02:15 PM
Hi Dai Sensei, Thank you for the time in replying. I've just got my very first lathe for my birthday (21st April) and excited in using it. I've been using a lathe at a local woodturning club and so far only used Camphor laurel. I would love to find some exotic woods? Zebra wood, red cedar etc.
Have you got a website with the list...
I will be going to wood show next Friday.

dai sensei
16th April 2017, 06:14 PM
Hi Dai Sensei, Thank you for the time in replying. I've just got my very first lathe for my birthday (21st April) and excited in using it. I've been using a lathe at a local woodturning club and so far only used Camphor laurel. I would love to find some exotic woods? Zebra wood, red cedar etc.

Sorry my list isn't public, it varies all the time as I collect more. I have most of the common QLD timbers, including desert hardwoods to really test you, but I'd still to the softer stuff till you are more confident. They all sorts at Melany. I'll be at Maleny for the long weekend, helping out at various stalls, but probably Tex Timbers or the International Wood Collectors Society stalls the most. You can also call me on 0417-782-204 to discuss anytime.

dusteater
17th April 2017, 03:11 AM

Welcome to the forum Charlie and happy birthday [ nice pressie] , not only a great selection of timber from Neil "Dai sensei" but a wealth of knowledge and information :2tsup:

Mobyturns
20th April 2017, 07:57 AM

Which show is that? (edit) Maleny I guess.

Rod Gilbert
20th April 2017, 08:09 AM
That would be the Maleny wood expo it is a great event usually a wide selection of timber available over 3 days i don't know how to add a link but easy to find. Well worth a visit. I plan on being there on Friday myself.
Regards Rod.

rtyuiop
20th April 2017, 10:47 AM
Friday? Isn't it Saturday to Monday?

I'll be there Saturday if things go according to plan!

dai sensei
20th April 2017, 08:27 PM
Friday? Isn't it Saturday to Monday?

I'll be there Saturday if things go according to plan!

Yes it is Sat/Sun/Mon, not sure if Charlie has it wrong, but I will be there Friday arvo as well setting up

Charlie's Shed
21st April 2017, 06:44 PM
Whoops lol lucky I didn't turn up on Friday, that would've been embarrassing. Can't wait, to buy bowl blanks and also pen blanks. As I will be by myself, I will have a whole car to fill. Lol.

dai sensei
21st April 2017, 07:46 PM
... I will have a whole car to fill. .

Ah that's not much, many take a trailer as well :rolleyes::D

Charlie's Shed
21st April 2017, 08:26 PM
My poor little I30, would struggle with a trailer. I was going to hire a ute, as I was going to buy a slab of wood to make a tv entertainment center. But thinking I need blanks more. But who knows....