PDA

View Full Version : LADY'S where for art thou?... I've put a cat in the pigeon cage!

kekemo
19th April 2017, 01:39 AM
Hi all... yes I've been off the radar for a few years.... but back with renewed vigour. Making sawdust. I've not actually stopped the woodworking, I'd just stopped the online participation. Life has been so busy & exciting.
I'm also trying to start a Lady Sawdusters Group in Mandurah. It's going to upset a few people... maybe even a few on here. Mandurah has 2 Men's Shed groups that do woodwork. One has about 9 members, other has 20. Both only used 2 days a week. WHY WHY WHY won't they allow a woman group use it on a day when their not there. Sheds premises are donated free of charge... equipment given by Government grants & lotteries. YEP... I've got a battle on my hands. Not going to be deterred. Stay tuned, comment. Ive got a thick hide. Idea's welcomed. Oh, I hold a OHS certificate, Test & Tag Authorised, WhiteCard, scaffold ticket...(son's a builder everytime he put guys through training programs he signed me up too!) add to that my last 20 years of woodworking feel I'm qualified enough to tackle this one! It's totally the injustice of empty SHED's not being used... 3 days a week & I've got 50 ladies so far wanting access. Kalgoorlie & Esperance have already gone Co-Ed. It is left up the the individual shed if they allow women. $900,000 from Government Grants last year alone. WHY, should that be just for men. Women have same needs. AGAIN I state... "only want access on a day men are not there"...& just let one man tell me women can't operate machinery I'm liable to bite heads off...LOL

Made these last week... what do you think.

Glider
21st April 2017, 04:13 PM
$900,000 from Government Grants last year alone. WHY, should that be just for men. Women have same needs. AGAIN I state... "only want access on a day men are not there"..

Hear! Hear! It's an outrage. Give 'em hell, kekemo.

mick

Rod Gilbert
21st April 2017, 08:21 PM
Good luck with you're endeavors I see no reason why the resources can't be better utilized. I think any woodwork club would be over the moon to be able to have access to the sort of grants that men's sheds seem able to attract. I understand the concept of the men's shed movement but the resources don't seem to be best utilized the way they are managed in some areas. I am sure many wood work clubs are more than happy to get new members be they men or women and from our clubs point of view we welcome the input from our very talented and dedicated female members.
Regards Rod.

fenderbelly
15th May 2017, 12:48 PM
our shed allows women but so far none are interested.

Bushmiller
15th May 2017, 03:40 PM
Go for it Kekemo. Point out to the diehards that with the shed better utilised there may be more and better funding available. I don't know that, but it seems reasonable.

A quick and silly question on your wine tray: How do you remove the glasses? It's just that I would not have broken a cut crystal glass just recently if I had had a tray like yours so I am most interested. I suppose it would also not have slipped off the tray if I had had a little less to drink. :(

Regards
Paul

kekemo
17th May 2017, 10:35 AM
Paul.. when you lift the bottle out you can then slide the glasses in/out... yep now your laughing aren't you. Easy now you've been told. Don't worry you're not the first & won't be the last.

Tahlee
17th May 2017, 10:49 AM
Paul.. when you lift the bottle out you can then slide the glasses in/out... yep now your laughing aren't you. Easy now you've been told. Don't worry you're not the first & won't be the last.

Puzzled me too .... now I see how its done .... simply a brilliant design

Rob

Cleokitty
17th May 2017, 01:48 PM
fenderbelly, where is your shed, please?

Bushmiller
17th May 2017, 02:21 PM

Actually it was my wife who asked :wink: but I didn't work it out either :-. I am not laughing out loud, but smiling quietly to myself. At least partly because I intend to copy your design as it's so good. Not only that I can't really afford the breakages :).

Regards
Paul

aldav
17th May 2017, 07:54 PM
Plenty of women members at the Albury Wodonga Woodcrafters, so it can be done! - Albury-Wodonga Woodcrafters Inc. (http://www.awwinc.com.au/) :2tsup:

A bit different if it's a 'Mens' shed, but if they're days when it's not being used why not turn it over to the ladies. They surely can't stuff things up worse then the men can they? Well, I don't think so, I've seen some blokes do some pretty stupid things over the years. Might even have been guilty myself once or twice. :D

mummatoni
4th June 2017, 04:32 PM
Hi kekemo, me too back after long break from woodshavings used to be here under the name lubbinng5cherubs previously but when return would not allow me come in. Probably no longer that email or something but anyway i became disabled and finally found a medicine protocol that relieved pain enough so back at my lathe. So glad i never listen to mil trying to get hubby to sell them as feels so great to be back. Like most certainly can't do it as fast but not letting that stop me i am back turning and enjoying life to the best regardless of my ability. So great to be back on this board again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cleokitty
17th January 2018, 02:09 PM
Hi fenderbelly, asking again.....where is this shed that welcomes women, please?

Kiwi75
17th January 2018, 03:00 PM
Good on you Kekemo, absolutely unacceptable in todays day and age, wish you luck in your venture.
I grew up in the 80s seeing the "Girls can do anything" stickers and I guess it stuck with me...

mummatoni
17th January 2018, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=mummatoni;2027779]Hi kekemo, me too back after long break from woodshavings used to be here under the name lubbinng5cherubs previously but when return would not allow me come in. Probably no longer that email or something but anyway i became disabled and finally found a medicine protocol that relieved pain enough so back at my lathe. So glad i never listen to mil trying to get hubby to sell them as feels so great to be back. Like most certainly can't do it as fast but not letting that stop me i am back turning and enjoying life to the best regardless of my ability. So great to be back on this board