PDA

View Full Version : Table saw shopping in Canberra

RustyGirl
11th September 2005, 11:23 PM
Hi...... I'm new to this forum and I'm not very experienced at woodworking. I plan lots of projects, but I need to get stuck into it to gain skills and confidence. It is difficult to know where to start.

I am going to buy a table saw (under $1,200). Thanks for all the info people have posted previously in this forum about what kind of table saws to buy - I'll consider that advice in making my purchase. I'm still a little confused, but I'll do some more research and look around for awhile.

But if anyone can recommend any shops to try in Canberra, then please do. I guess I could always try Sydney too if necessary.....

boban
12th September 2005, 12:08 AM
Lets make it easy and save you a lot of reading.

Buy a TSC-10HB saw from Blue Dingo there in Canberra. It was once Carbatec. Now that saw is often on special for $1295.

I dont think you will find too many arguments with that suggestion.

Good luck Rusty.

DavidG
12th September 2005, 10:12 AM
Go talk to Grahme at 'Blue Dingo' Gladstone St Fyshwick.
You could not do better than follow his advice.

RustyGirl
12th September 2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks Boban and DavidG. I will do that!
:-)

MikeK
12th September 2005, 11:33 PM
Hi RustyGirl,

Welcome to the BB :)

I had a thought here and it was based purely on your comment of "I'm not very experienced at woodworking". I apologise if you've thought this thru and have it covered. The thought was based on my own experience. When I was inexperienced I bought a tablesaw. It was good and I got a lot of use from it (I still do).... but I find that I'm getting more use from my bandsaw now. The reason it that I'm making smaller furniture items (chests of drawers etc) and not really using a lot sheet goods. I learnt that I should really think about what I was making and the experience that I wanted (see plenty of debates on this BB re hand vs power tools) before I buy the tools.

Anyway, this is in no way meant to be patronising. I do not know your circumstances, nor the plans you have, nor the inexperience that you mention. I just know what I found out and thought that it may be of use. BTW, I have a SBW4300 bandsaw which when fitted with some quality blades from Henry Bros is a real beauty.

Good luck with your purchase.

Regards,
Mike.

Stubchain
13th September 2005, 10:11 AM
Hi Rusty,

I have it on good authority that the Canberra store Blue Dingo is closing down. While you might get a bargain, you might want to check out the warranties.

Bulli
13th September 2005, 11:10 AM
Hi Rusty,

I have it on good authority that the Canberra store Blue Dingo is closing down. While you might get a bargain, you might want to check out the warranties.

G'day Stubchain

I'm sure Graeme can speak for himself, but it's best to get in early. And I'm being cautious because I'm discussing someone else's commercial interests.

His last advice was in July here:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=172841&postcount=19

According to Graeme's post at the time, they were getting out of the Carbatec line for their own commercial reasons, but intended to continue trading as Blue Dingo. If this has changed, I'm sure Graeme will let us know.

I bought a chisel mortiser there a couple of weeks' ago on sale and was assured the warranty would be honoured.

Cheers,

Bulli

jshaw
13th September 2005, 11:17 AM
I also asked if Blue Dingo was going completely and was told no, it was just easier to close the Carba-tec franchise on the one day and reopen the next as Blue Dingo. They seem to be in a strange in betweeny state just now - waiting for the franchise to run out? Don't know but I was convinced they were here to stay.

Cheers,
John

DavidG
13th September 2005, 04:44 PM
Talking to Graeme a couple of weeks ago he said he was going to continue.
BlueDingo is staying.