PDA

View Full Version : Festool C12 drill

Trav
12th September 2005, 10:33 AM
I'm sort of in the market for a new cordless drill. I want something in the small-mid size - not a dirty big 18v jobbie like to triton.

I saw the festool c12 and I reckon it looks like it fits the bill.

Has anyone seen/used them? Any feedback?

Trav

Dean
12th September 2005, 01:31 PM
Most reviews I have seen read or most user comments say Festool drills aint the best on the block. A good panasonic, makita, bosch etc are much better with longer life. However, some Festool drills do have some nice features, but you would have to use those special-application features every other day to justify the cost if you ask me.

Their drill line seems to be their weakest link.

shayrebel
12th September 2005, 02:48 PM
i've used my festool drill for years and have never had any problems with it,use the centro system which is great for fast changing of bits,etc.The actual bits from what i'm told are made in china with a resultant reduction in quality(not price),have since discovered the wera range of bits(which are great)
i would buy another festool drill,but then again i'm a dedicated festool fan

DarrylF
12th September 2005, 10:46 PM
I have a 9.6v Festool and I love it - best I have ever used by a long shot. I have 3 Bosch drills as well - no comparison. Their chucks, the centrotec system, bits, countersinks etc are all absolutely first class.

The new model is seriously nice - lighter, better setup.

silkwood
12th September 2005, 10:47 PM
I've used the Festool drills for a number of years and have been most impressed with them. I purchased a CCD12 a year ago and had some initial trouble with runout. Festool replaced first the chuck then the whole drill and since then I have been most happy with the unit. It is well balanced, very reliable and extremely versatile. Is is most definitley aimed at professional cabinetmakers, not for the person who wants to build a wine-rack today and then a pergola tomorrow.

I cannot comment upon the new units. I do know two people who purchased the Panasonic units based upon their battery life. Both have been sonewhat disappointed in their purchases since.

nt900
12th September 2005, 11:09 PM
Hi Trav,

Not the C12, but check out what onlinetoolsreview.com has to say about Festool drills, and especially the accessories.

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/festoolTDKdrills.htm

Also, in this issue of Australian Wood Review there is a small review of the C12. Quoting from that article "the best cordless drill I have ever used".

Trav
13th September 2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks all.

Anthony and Dean - I didn;t think about looking at the online tool review site. Thanks for the advice.

I think I will go and check the C12 out in the next few weeks and see what it feels like in the hand.

Cheers

Trav

Greg Q
13th September 2005, 09:01 PM
You might want to go to Yahoo.com groups and sign up for the festool owners group. A few days ago there was a lengthy post by a technical writer who was working on the C12 literature for the US market. The technology in this new drill is awesome, and apparently it will leave 18v drills for dead.

I have a 9.6volt CCD that is better than any 12 volt drill I've ever triggered,
and I echo the comments about the centrotec system. I have a four other festool tools and I think the drill is the equal of any of the others in the line-up. I know where I want Santa to do his shopping this year...

darrens
13th September 2005, 10:28 PM
hi, i have the twelve v. festool, not to sure about the exact model, but it's the one with the battery in front of the handle/trigger(rather than at the bottom)

i've had it about 1.5yrs and it is superb, the balance and feel in use is excellent. i use it everyday at work fitting kitchens, the charge holds a long time, and the angle and eccentric chucks have gotten me out of some real pickles,lol. it is very powerful, any size screw is not a problem, i have even used it to cut 125 mm holes with a hole saw(not recommended) with relative ease.

the only problems i have had is the main chuck is sometimes hard to remove and my charger packed up, but they fixed it.

i've been using different screwguns for 17 yrs and i can honestly say without fear of contradiction, it is the best i have ever used. and after using it everything else feels crap.

it is probably well overpriced like all festool gear, but still no regrets.

darren