PDA

View Full Version : Thin air vacuum press

ClintO
12th September 2005, 12:20 PM
In the Aug edition of FWW magazine it has an article about the Thin Air Press, a manually pumped vacuum press put out by Roarockit for skateboards.
For about US$55 which includes the hand pump and a vaccum bag you cant really go wrong.

I am only interested in small items for jewellry boxes and cant justify something like the cloudmaker system
Has anyone tried this product and if it is available in Australia? It is also listed on the Woodcraft.com. website.
Clint

ozwinner
12th September 2005, 12:30 PM
You used to be able to buy hand vacuum pumps for freezer bags years ago.
Im wondering if you could use one of them?
They only cost $5 or so.

Any plastic bag that can be sealed would be ideal, you can buy vacuum bags for storing house hold junk in, from the $2 shop.

Al :)

burn
12th September 2005, 12:43 PM
I think I saw what you are after at the Canberra WWW show the other weekend. Carbatec had them ... about $99 for one of the two sizes they had.

Burn

echnidna
12th September 2005, 12:51 PM
For the sake of $5 I think I would follow up Al's suggestion first.

Termite
12th September 2005, 12:57 PM
For the sake of $5 I think I would follow up Al's suggestion first.
As life has taught me, you wont get much suck for $5.00. :rolleyes:

outback
12th September 2005, 03:21 PM
This post deleted by .

kiwigeo
12th September 2005, 03:46 PM
This post deleted by .

Something to do with golf balls and garden hoses???
:D

Firewalker
12th September 2005, 04:35 PM
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=11315&SearchHandle=DADBDADBDADADDDGGBDAGBDHDAGEDFDJCNDCGBDDDICNDEDIGBDDCNGCDADGGFCNDBDEGFDDDGDJGGGGDGGEGFDIDADADADBDADADADADGHGGBGDHFHFGNDADADADEDADADADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDADADADADGHGGBGDHFHFGNDADADADBDB&filter=vacuum

try this link........it's here in the US but I have seen the demo in person. Looks to hold pretty snug and uniform.

Best of luck

Scott

Cagey
12th September 2005, 06:25 PM
This post deleted by .

whos been a naughty boy then. Wash your mouth out with soap Outback, but dont swallow it, coz it will make you sick, and cough up bubbles.

ozwinner
12th September 2005, 06:40 PM
Or........you could use one of these many uses pumps.

Caution adult content. (http://www.discountadultstuff.com.au/site/prod212.htm)

Al :eek:

ClintO
12th September 2005, 07:43 PM
I dont think the freezer bag option would work. I happen to have one that was bought for its intended purpose. It wouldnt create much of a vacuum and one of the important features of a proper vacuum bag is the non return valve which will hold pressure for an extended period.

Firewalker
13th September 2005, 12:42 AM
The link I posted is set up to hold pressure by way of one way valve. It takes around 10 seconds to extract the air using the hand pump. I assume it will hold the vacuum 'til the second coming of Christ.

(Haven't tested that yet though)

Scott

silkwood
13th September 2005, 10:22 PM
The pump and the valves are the same as the "Vacuvin" units sold to remove air from part-full wine bottles. I think you can still buy these from department stores, I wonder how hard it would be to make a lightwieght system up using one? I'll have to drag my old "Vacucin" out of hiding, I rarely used it (something to do with not having many partly full wine bottle left over!) :D