PDA

View Full Version : ID and treatment suggestions please on old floorboards

Toby L
24th April 2017, 04:51 PM
Hi All. I have an old house in the Gloucester NSW area and it has carpet over these old floorboards. I think they are hardwood and were layed in the 1940's or 50's when the house was built. Does anyone have any suggestions on what species of timber these might be and what treatment (oiling, polishing with gloss or matt finish) might be best please? :-) TIA, Toby

dadpad
2nd May 2017, 01:47 PM
It's only a punt but I'd suggest blackbutt. Reasons: Your location, the stated age, the pale sapwood and the slight pinkish colour in some boards. There may be some replacement boards of spotted gum Lighter in colour in amongst it. As afr as finish goes I'd look at lots and lots of floors to help you make up your mind but do keep in mind the wear and maintenance characteristics of each before you make a final decision.

Toby L
19th June 2017, 10:19 PM
Thanks for that advice - something to go on!

Toby L
11th July 2017, 06:05 PM
Someone has suggested it might be Brush Box?

rustynail
12th July 2017, 04:21 PM
It is hard to tell from the photos as the timber has grayed off which means it is only grain left to go by. Your area produces many good flooring timbers eg Spotted gum, Sydney blue gum, Brush box, Tallow wood and Black butt just to name a few. I wouldn't be surprised if what you have is a mixture of the lot usually referred to as a "mixed hardwood" floor.