PDA

View Full Version : How to replacesand in pool filter

anton1971
12th September 2005, 06:20 PM
Hi All,

I'm thinking to replace sand in my pool filter, but not sure what is the proper procedure of this and what is the fastest method of removing old sand from the filter?
Thanks,
Anton

spitnchips
12th September 2005, 07:09 PM
Hey Anton,
With my pool filter it has a clamp around the middle which holds the top and bottom sections together. I just undo the clamp and lift off the top section which exposes the sand and fingers that stop sand escaping. You need to make sure that any seal is back in place when putting it back together.
Why do you need to replace the sand? It is just like coarse river sand and I was unaware that it deteriorated. Mine is 12 years old and regularly backflushed and I had a look inside out of curiosity and it was still full. Do you have a problem with the filter?? If not I'd live by the motto "if it aint broke dont fix it"

anton1971
13th September 2005, 10:55 AM
Why do you need to replace the sand? It is just like coarse river sand and I was unaware that it deteriorated. Mine is 12 years old and regularly backflushed and I had a look inside out of curiosity and it was still full. Do you have a problem with the filter?? If not I'd live by the motto "if it aint broke dont fix it"

I agree with you, I just want to change to zelbrite
http://www.davey.com.au/products/product_view.aspx?id=108&catID=149&app=Ponds%2c+Fountains+%26+Aquaculture

Have a look, this product is better then sand and suitable for sand filters, plus I spoken with pool fellow, he recomend to change sand every 5-7 years.

Dean
13th September 2005, 03:52 PM
Have sand filter here too.
Been told from the local pool mob that it doesnt really need changing unless the pool doesnt seem to be filtering well. Regular backwashing cleans it all up :)

That zelbrite stuff sounds nifty though.

Zed
13th September 2005, 04:26 PM
I put the zelbrite in my pool about a yr ago and its pretty good, the water is nice and "crisp" now - if you use with one of those blue jelly water settlers in the skimmer box its ace.

Note when you put the stuff in it takes a while to settle down - you need to backflush the new sand for quite a while to get rid of the small grains - if you dont it gets blown back into the pool which defeats the purpose of having it.... no sense just letting it blow back as if you vacuum it makes its way back thru the filter and back into the pool again and again. I had to backflush for quite a while - the way to do it is to sit by the waste point and scoop handfulls of waste water - when its clear then stop fluishing. it does take a while so dont get excited...

Dean
13th September 2005, 04:43 PM
Is there not a little backwash water tube-window thingy on your filter to check water quality as it backwashes?

Also, how long do those blue jelly cube things last? Thought about getting them a couple times at the store. $13 for 2 I think.

Zed
13th September 2005, 05:01 PM
they dont last real long, a couple of days maybe - I put one in a few days before if im expecting guests. $13 4 2 blocks is a bit much innit!

yes I have a window - this is an alternate method of checking but is not as much fun on a hot day! I dont thing its as accurate either as if you cup your hands under the outlet as it settles its easy to see a grain of sand but if your swooshing thu a little plastic thingy you can be missed at high spped that is!