PDA

View Full Version : Any hints or tips for first time bikkie jointer user

savage
12th September 2005, 09:26 PM
G'Day all,
anyone out there have any tips on using a biscuit jointer for first time user, just got one and don't want to do any damage to the machine, it's a Ryobi. Used to use dowels and a jig but the last few jobs have not lined up and is getting worse, I have put it down to the drill guide wearing and throwing everything out, so I thought it was time to update and try something different. Everyone I have spoken to swears by them so I thought what the heck I'll get one and give it a go!....Any helpful advise would be much appreciated.
savage.

Gumby
12th September 2005, 09:36 PM
Just make sure you give them enough glue because the biscuits expand to fill the slot better. You can wipe off the excess easily enough. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same as dowels except they slide so make sure you have everything lined up properly after clamping together.

AlexS
12th September 2005, 10:36 PM
Each time before you use it - in fact, before you plug it in - make sure that the slides that the guide face runs on slide freely. It can be exciting if you pull out after cutting the slot and the cutter is whirling aroud in the open air. Also, make sure that the adjustments are all correct & tightened up befor you start. And after you've cut the slot, let the cutter come out straight, not at an angle. And what Gumby said.

savage
12th September 2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks folks duely noted and appreciated.

savage.:)

PaulS
13th September 2005, 10:39 AM
I've never done any biscuit jointing, but here is a site to read.

http://www.huntfamily.com/metz/biscuitmenu.htm

Paul

Bulli
13th September 2005, 11:18 AM
Savage

Others may disagree, but I've found that biscuits aren't that good at bearing a load. If you want the joint to be structurally important, you might want to consider either going back to dowell or maybe try a different joint style eg. mortise and tenon.

Other than that, biscuits are a very convenient and quick way of joining.

Cheers

Bulli

Iain
13th September 2005, 12:39 PM
Make sure that the cutter depth is the same as the biscuit being used.
I know that some have cut 1/0 slots for 2/0 biscuits and found out at glue and clamp time :o :o :o

AlexS
13th September 2005, 05:56 PM
Make sure that the cutter depth is the same as the biscuit being used.
I know that some have cut 1/0 slots for 2/0 biscuits and found out at glue and clamp time :o :o :o

Oops :o

savage
13th September 2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks again guys, I mainly will use it for "locating" work and then screw it for added strenth, if all goes right that is if not it will be just "located and screwed" and I'll have to start again!.....Ha!Ha!

savage.

savage
14th September 2005, 09:40 PM
Well, I used it for the first time today and the first join was a bit out, (0.05mm over a 2.400mm length x 19mm pine) but I put it down to being unfamiliar with the tool. The second join was spot on and I was really happy when I realized it was very similar to holding a small grinder, thanks for all the tips I made sure I took all into account and made for a confident approach to a new tool, which I'll use a lot in the future.

savage.

Bulli
14th September 2005, 09:46 PM
Good stuff savage

Sometimes it's best just to hook in (after reading the destructions of course).

You were 0.05mm out? Oh well, better luck next time.

Bulli

rick_rine
14th September 2005, 09:50 PM
I always plunge mine in twice just to help clear the groove of sawdust .

savage
14th September 2005, 09:51 PM
Yup!....only 18.5mm to go and I'll miss it all together!...Ha!Ha!savage.

Gumby
14th September 2005, 10:08 PM
Well, I used it for the first time today and the first join was a bit out, (0.05mm over a 2.400mm length x 19mm pine) but I put it down to being unfamiliar with the tool. The second join was spot on and I was really happy when I realized it was very similar to holding a small grinder, thanks for all the tips I made sure I took all into account and made for a confident approach to a new tool, which I'll use a lot in the future.

savage.

2.400mm length ???? You must have very small biscuits :D

savage
14th September 2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah they're microscopic!....O.K. O.K. so I put the decimal in the wrong spot, I meant to say 2400mm!.... And I'm not having a sulk!...I'm not!...Mummy, they're all laughing at me!...Ha!Ha!

savage.

Iain
15th September 2005, 06:16 AM
You can also use the jointer to put a groove in a board, just run it along the length.
A couple of mm out doesn't really amtter as you can align during glue up.

savage
15th September 2005, 01:22 PM
Iain,

That!..is a good idea, like the tongue in a tongue and groove, yeah! thats cool thanks, I'll remember that one!..
savage.:D