PDA

View Full Version : Framing Timber

spartan
12th September 2005, 11:45 PM
Guys what is the consensus about framing timber.

I'm going into the next stage of planing on putting some walls up in the shed.

What timber would people recommend?

I was thinking about Sawn Cypress F7, 100 x 40 at about $4.40 per L/M

or I could opt for normal pine. thoughts?

rick_rine
13th September 2005, 12:31 AM
Myself , for interior walls I use 70 x 35mm pine . Its heaps strong enough if there is no load carrying capacity required , it gives you strength enough to hold plaster or wall lining , it increases the room area ( O.K. only by 30mmm but every bit counts ) and its cheap if you buy the right grade . If I recall it was abou $2/m from Mitrio last time I bought it .
I only suggest this for non load bearing walls .
Regards
Rick

ausdesign
13th September 2005, 08:55 AM
For your application which i'm assuming is not loadbearing but just a frame to hold the lining i'd be looking at something like a merch grade pine - f4 the same as they make packing cases from - if you have a source to hand pick the sticks.
70*35 f5 would do the job or even green hardwood f8.
The cypress pine is dearer but has the advantage of being termite resistant. The little tackers don't like it whereas they have a field day with radiata pine.

Clinton1
13th September 2005, 12:11 PM
What about galvanised C channels? My shed has a colurbond skin and c channels between the skin and the frame (which is built up from angle iron into trusses).

I just insert more C channels between the skin and frame, and clad with whatever is cheapest at the time I am cladding that section.
C channel - good stuff if it suits your needs.

Sturdee
13th September 2005, 05:04 PM
For your application which i'm assuming is not loadbearing but just a frame to hold the lining i'd be looking at something like a merch grade pine

When I was lining the inside of my timber shed and finishing shed I used mech grade pine 90 * 35 which cost only $ 1.25 lmt.

As I know the guys in the yard they pick the good ones out for me. :D

Peter.