PDA

View Full Version : Roadtest of Kleiberit Construction Adhesive 569.0

Clinton1
13th September 2005, 01:11 AM
This is in the form of a roadtest on a product that is new to me, thought some might be interested.
A while ago I bought some Kleiberit Construction Adhesive 569.0 Supratac ($18) www.kleiberit.com (http://www.kleiberit.com/). It is a one-component system, from a German company. I heard good things about the strength of the glue (used in Germany for timber bus frames) and though it might be the go for laminating a bench top. It comes in a caulking gun tube.
It got a little sunny in Melbourne last weekend and I though I would give it a go - temperature affects the skin time and I figured I'd wait till it got over 16 degrees before I had a wack.
I did the bodgy test first - lap (edge to edge) glued two bits of hardwood, and did not pay too much attention to the squareness of the edges. Didn't clamp either. Basically a worst cast scenario test. A 6" piece glued to a 12" piece, both pieces 19mm x 170 mm KD DAR from a recycle shop.
The result: to break the glue line I placed the two pieces over the edge of the verandah, and stood on one piece. I got the missus to stand on the other (thats 48kg's + the vanity factor). Didn't break. So i got her to bounce on it, no break. So I asked her to jump up and down on it. It broke on the third jump.
The timber failed around the glue line, but the glue line held. The glue seems to penetrate a few mm into the timber. Close inspection showed the edges were not square and about 1/4 of the glue line was not making a 'wood to wood' meeting point. Remember, I said it was a bodgy??
Where the glue escapes the joint, it reacts with the atmospheric humidity and swells and forms a soft 'plastic', easily peeled off the timber, when started with a chisel to lift it. Otherwise it reacts with the moisture in the timber to start the glue reaction.
The $18 tube was the standard caulking gue size (@300mL ?) and I used it to do 20 x 1000mm lengths of 30mm square strips of timber for a benchtop, and to laminate all the slats on a queen bed to harden the slats up. So a fair coverage, even though I wasted quite a bit. The stuff I got needs 20 mins clamping and reaches 80% of the bond strength in 1 hour. different formulations have longer skin times then the stuff I used - up to 30 minutes.
Thought I'd post my experience, I'm pretty impressed. I got the construction adhesive - there seems to be a Kleiberit product for just about everything, timber, particle board, laminates, fabric, foams and in melt, spray, liquid forms.
Cheers,
Clinton. (and I didn't glue the clamps to my hand and my foot to the bench either :p )