PDA

View Full Version : Query re Leady lathe info

KJ401
7th May 2017, 11:36 AM
I've recently picked up a Leady lathe - probably manufactured in the 1980s as the label has a 7 digit Sydney phone number.

I did call Bruce Leadbetter and had a brief chat - he's no longer supplying parts or accessories and can't provide manuals for the lathe either. He has closed his workshop.

If anyone has a manual, I'd love to get a scanned copy - happy to pay costs. As far as I can tell, everything's fine plus it's a 2MT on the head and tail stock so drives etc aren't an issue. But if you've got a box of parts you don't want or any advice...

I've looked through the forum's manual library and can't find anything there.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

orraloon
7th May 2017, 11:58 AM
You have the bowl lathe not the same as my one but I did have a small play on one at Bruce's workshop. I got my lathe from him about 10 years ago and got an hour or so instruction from him. I dont think he gave manuals out with his machines. Leastwise I never got one but after the intro from him never really needed one.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/leady1.html

That link has info on some of his bits and pieces. Anyhow if you need to know anything just ask on here.
I think hughie knows a bit about them and there should be some others as well.
Regards
John

KJ401
7th May 2017, 12:06 PM
Thanks John.

Uncle Al
7th May 2017, 08:17 PM
We have one of those bowl lathes at our club, plus several other Leady lathes. They are basically bullet proof, bearings and belts are common off the shelf items from a bearing supplier, and extra tool rests are available from a variety of suppliers including Mcjing's and Carbatec. Instruction manuals are probably non existent as everything is reasonably straight forward to adjust or align.

Have fun with your new toy, it should last a lifetime!

Alan...

hughie
8th May 2017, 06:44 PM
He has as far as I know retired as he is well over 80. So with that, your chances of any further info from him will be slight. I bought one of his last chucks a couple of years back, McJings used to carry some of his gear.
Dunno how much use a manual would be, wood lathes are very simple machines. If its in good condition, no worries then, bearings will last for years and they are not that hard to change.Plus these quite few Leady lathes around and on this forum. So practical info wont be hard to come by, you just gotta ask :)

Mobyturns
8th May 2017, 08:19 PM
Great lathes. The local club has one and t has withstood all manner of use and abuse. Pretty much bullet proof, plus Bruce has to be a front runner for the implementation of a fold away / swing away bed extension.

ronboult
8th May 2017, 09:13 PM
Hi KJ401
I own a Leady lathe purchased direct from Bruce when he introduced the 2nd version of his Bowl lathe. When I ordered mine after selling my previous lathe he was having production problems and I waited for over two years without a lathe. The wait was worth it as I love my lathe. Being able to lower the bed extension for bowl turning is a wonder.
Mine has a single support arm for the bed extension whereas the early versions had two arms. I can't quite make out which model you have but the colour is different to mine.
The lathes are virtually indestructible and will last for generations. I have upgraded mine to variable speed with a larger 2Hp 3phase motor and Lenze VFD which makes the lathe much more usable- highly recommended.
When I purchased my lathe there was a sales brochure available( I have a copy) but there was no manual provided- not sure what use a manual would be, perhaps list the spindle speed for the different pulleys.
The spindle has a 30x3.5 mm thread and so far all chucks I have tried fit and screw up tight against the spindle flange. (Nova, Vicmarc and Axminster evolution- this last chuck is a beauty and far exceeds the Nova chucks and can accept All NOVA , Oneway, Vicmarc 120 and Axminster Jaws)
If I can assist PM me. Enjoy your great lathe purchase
Ron

KJ401
14th May 2017, 08:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for your posts. Much appreciated and great to hear they're good lathes.

It's a double leg support on the swing away bed. And the suggestion to upgrade to a variable speed motor is noted - just got to be doing enough turning to warrant it. :)

KJ401
26th May 2017, 09:27 AM
In case anyone is interested, there's a Leady up on ebay

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f253/leady-bowl-lathe-214492#post2026080

Enfield Guy
26th May 2017, 08:17 PM
Nice bit of kit at a great price.

chuck1
26th May 2017, 10:45 PM
I have one, I have actually wedged the bed so I won't swing.
Some days I like the tailstock others I hate it. It's great when boring.
I don't regret buying it and it copes with all the turning I do on it