PDA

View Full Version : GetTogether/Welcome Mat ~ Home of the Biting Midge

bitingmidge
13th September 2005, 09:14 AM
No more excuses, a date has been set!

Sunday 2nd October.

Time:
Late morning (More details to be posted when we know the numbers!).

What:
A small gathering at the Home of the Biting Midge to Welcome MathewA (because I don't have anything else particularly interesting to show off!).

We are equal opportunity hosts, so spouses are welcome (on a short leash!).

Rocker has kindly offered one of his morticing jigs as a door prize, and the rest we'll make up over the next few weeks.

If anyone wishes to make a big weekend of it and would like to come up a day early, a limited number of beds are available at Mat's or our place. (but be prepared to talk into the wee small hours!)

Cheers,

P

RufflyRustic
13th September 2005, 09:23 AM
Way Cool! I'm there, with or without family!!

Thanks Midge! and Rocker!!!!

cheers
RufflyRustic

MajorPanic
13th September 2005, 06:32 PM
We'll be there Midge!

Looking foward to it! http://www.ubeaut.biz/blah.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/blah.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/blah.gif

bitingmidge
13th September 2005, 08:44 PM
I can't promise any stuffed monkeys, this is after all, not a Victorian event, but if you could all indulge me while I quote from a PM I received earlier today:

If ya want I can put up a Black Wattle marking gauge as a secondary door prize.

Major P: That's an incredibly generous offer!!

OF COURSE we want!!! Thanks very much!!! :)

Maybe I should throw in a yo-yo to the person that travels the furthest.

(Cliff must have run out of FF points by now so he's probably not in contention this time!)

Cheers,

P

Rocker
13th September 2005, 08:53 PM
Secondary? If it is anything like the one I scored from Major at another gtg, it is definitely primary :)

Rocker

Cliff Rogers
13th September 2005, 10:22 PM
I can't promise any stuffed monkeys,

Ask Al if you can borrow him. :D

...Cliff must have run out of FF points by now so he's probably not in contention this time!.....

Sorry, 2 reasons...
1. Wedding anniversary is 28th Sept, midweek & we are both working that night & the very next weekend just happens to be the one you picked. (on purpose no doubt :rolleyes: )
2. We are saving FF points to go to Brisvegas for a 50th to be held on New Years eve.... I'm not sure how long we are staying as Gina will have a new job by then, she's chucking in teaching (again) at the end of this year, & taking up selling Real Estate. :cool:
I hope to stay a bit longer than 3 days but I don't know at this stage.... I might work on getting a leave pass to come home later. :D

If it wasn't for those 2 reasons, I'd be there with Al's bells on. :p

Gumby
13th September 2005, 10:53 PM
If it wasn't for those 2 reasons, I'd be there with Al's bells on. :p

Are you becoming a BBQ groupie Cliff ? :D :D

I'd be there if not for the small geographic location problem :(

Cliff Rogers
13th September 2005, 11:13 PM
Are you becoming a BBQ groupie Cliff ? ....

Becoming????

BBQ, did someone say BBQ?

Mate, I get in early, if I can, I have the date changed to suit me. :D

dai sensei
13th September 2005, 11:37 PM
Sounds great Midge. I'll have to check the date. I started a new job in Brisbane and they may want me to work that weekend:( .

My van is my bed, so no probs there. I also have a heap of tents if anyone needs one, assuming I can make it.

I assume there will be a slide show of your trip?

Cheers

dan_tom
14th September 2005, 01:13 AM
Hi Midge,
Sounds great. I will ask the calender and check Dan... or something like that :confused: . It is exceptionally close to our anniversary :D ... already planned a trip into the tweed hinterland, I need to check which weekend.

Very tempted by the offer of lucky-door-prizes. I know not all are equal dollar value, but could I suggest that every one brings something to swap... maybe make it a mystery gift... Kris Krindle like... must be home/ shed made. You could draw the names out of a hat for those that turn up... or play spin the bottle?!?!?! :o

Q) What is the drive time from central Brisvegas to your abode?

Cheers
Tom :D :D :D

Jack E
14th September 2005, 08:25 AM
"Slide show" and "spin the bottle"

You guys will be pulling keys out of a bucket next :)

bitingmidge
14th September 2005, 08:48 AM
Q) What is the drive time from central Brisvegas to your abode?

On a Sunday morning, an hour give or take.

Turn right after the Ettamoggah Pub and stop driving after 10 minutes (just before you hit the ocean!

BTW, if you are looking for mountains to stay in, there are plenty of pleasant spots in the Montville-Maleny rim too, 20-30 minutes away.

I'll choof out a proper map to all who confirm.

Cheers,

P
:D

silentC
14th September 2005, 09:12 AM
Maybe I should throw in a yo-yo to the person that travels the furthest.
Lordy, that's almost temptation enough to book the tickets today!!

Why do I always miss out on the fun. I feel so isolated and lonely... :(

bitingmidge
14th September 2005, 09:17 AM
Actually, for our southern (or northern) friends, we'll even throw in free transfers to and from the airport. Maroochy or Brisbane.

Can't get much fairer than that!

Cheers,

P

keith53
14th September 2005, 10:39 AM
a limited number of beds are available

Peter,

I have a couple of spare double beds to add to the accommodation pool if required. I'm happy for you to co-ordinate arrangements as you see fit.

Cheers,
Keith

MathewA
14th September 2005, 10:06 PM
I have a retarded cat I can throw into the door prize... Might make a great pencil sharpener!

Cliff Rogers
15th September 2005, 01:11 AM
Ooooooo.... bad cat joke, you'll get reddies for that. :D

bitingmidge
15th September 2005, 08:00 AM
Throwing a retarded cat into Rocker's morticing jig could result in an ugly demise!

OK bring it on!

P

dai sensei
15th September 2005, 09:09 PM
Good news and bad news.

The good news is that I don't have to work :) . Bad news is that I still can't make it on 2 Oct :( . Good news is that I have to be in Tuncurry NSW for a family reunion and there is a wood show on the same weekend in Forster :) .

Sorry Midge, maybe next time.

Cheers

MathewA
15th September 2005, 09:43 PM

It was that or a pair of slippers but he's far too skinny for that.

Caliban
16th September 2005, 12:06 AM
Midge
I'll check with the calendar and SWMBO(if she's talking to me :confused: ) and get back to ya. She was planning on a gold coast trip these holidays. They start tomorrow week and go for 2 weeks so it should be possible. It's only about 9 hours from here so could be really achievable, petrol costs allowing. :mad: As Big Kev used to say, "I'm excited!"

Rocker
16th September 2005, 07:31 AM
Jim,

You do realize that the jig police will be stationed at the Queensland border, and will deny you entry unless you can produce documentation to prove that you have completed a morticing jig, of which you have had the plans for around 18 months; lame excuses like "The plans were on my hard disk that crashed" will not be accepted.

Rocker

bitingmidge
16th September 2005, 08:35 AM
Midge
I'll check with the calendar and SWMBO(if she's talking to me :confused: ) and get back to ya. She was planning on a gold coast trip these holidays. They start tomorrow week and go for 2 weeks so it should be possible. It's only about 9 hours from here so could be really achievable, petrol costs allowing. :mad: As Big Kev used to say, "I'm excited!"
We'll keep our toes crossed Jim!

The sunny Coast is a very easy (if not pleasant) two hours on a freeway from the Gold Coast, and some of us would suggest that it's a much more pleasant place to visit!!

Cheers,

P (Jig police not withstanding)

bitingmidge
16th September 2005, 08:46 AM
Sorry Midge, maybe next time.

That is sad for us Neil! We'll mark you down as thinking of us!

Cheers,

P

Wizened of Oz
16th September 2005, 01:35 PM
Yes, Midge.
I'll show my ugly face at your little gathering. Not far to travel from Nambour.

Regards
Brian

David L
16th September 2005, 06:22 PM
I to Midge will give it a go, but not definite as yet.

David of Nambour also.

bitingmidge
16th September 2005, 06:49 PM
David and Wizened, please check your PM's

Cheers,

P

Gumby
16th September 2005, 06:51 PM
That is sad for us Neil! We'll mark you down as thinking of us!

Could you mark me down as not coming and NOT thinking of you :D :D

bitingmidge
16th September 2005, 06:52 PM
Could you mark me down as not coming and NOT thinking of you :D :D

Just breathing heavily perhaps?

P

dan_tom
22nd September 2005, 05:28 PM
If anyone wants to grab a lift with us, we'll be heading up from Brisbane for the occasion. We're tossing up whether to make a weekend of it and go the previous day or whether to do a day trip.

Cheers
Dan and Tom

Cliff Rogers
23rd September 2005, 12:17 AM

You are a turkey Zed; why did you give me a red for that ya Weird Bastard? :confused:

Caliban
23rd September 2005, 09:11 AM
You are a turkey Zed; why did you give me a red for that ya Weird Bastard? :confused:
Ya gotta admit it Cliff, you initiated the idea, the poor simian obviously couldn't resist, (lower intelligence than us humans, remember. ;) )

TassieKiwi
23rd September 2005, 09:55 AM
Sounds like fun - I would love to come up and put faces to the names. I have an unusually good excuse, as I will be in the land of the long white cloud for my Dad's 75th on the 1st.

Enjoy yourselves fellas

Dennis

barnsey
23rd September 2005, 10:06 AM
G'day midge,

I've been having a busy time down here and missed the announcement of your gtg.

We're getting past that now and I'll talk to SWMBO even if I drop her at her Dad's in Petrie and mosy on up the highway. Be a great opportunity for a day trip. 11ish OK?

Jamie

TassieKiwi
23rd September 2005, 10:14 AM
Hey midge - why don't you have a quick working bee before lunch, to finish off the DC system and other projects? You could have lunch at saaaay 4pm. On October 1, 2006 :D .

TEEJAY
25th September 2005, 01:02 PM
I'm there!!!:) :) :)

bitingmidge
25th September 2005, 01:20 PM
Hey midge - why don't you have a quick working bee before lunch, to finish off the DC system and other projects? You could have lunch at saaaay 4pm. On October 1, 2006 :D .

The thought had crossed my mind!

Sorry you can't make it. For those that can, if you haven't already sent me your email address, please do so and I'll send you a map sometime today!

cheers,

P

Rocker
25th September 2005, 07:45 PM
Attendees,

Please note that I am putting my Leigh jig up for sale. See http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=203111#post203111 .

Rocker

soundman
25th September 2005, 11:28 PM
I'm a little slow on the uptake on this thread, but I'll see if I can get away.
cheers

bitingmidge
26th September 2005, 08:35 AM
OK guys!

If there is anyone else that hasn't let me know, please send me a PM with your email address and I'll send details.

Confirmation by Wednesday would be nice, so we can get some provisions!

Cheers,

P

Zed
26th September 2005, 09:36 AM
Ya gotta admit it Cliff, you initiated the idea, the poor simian obviously couldn't resist, (lower intelligence than us humans, remember. ;) )

correct... one must hold up ones reputation after all....

soundman
27th September 2005, 09:52 AM
looks like I won't be able to make it. bugger :(
was looking forward to a visit to the land of the biting midge.
oh well next time.
cheers

RufflyRustic
27th September 2005, 09:55 AM
Darn, I was looking forward to catching up with you Soundman.

cheers
RR

ele__13
27th September 2005, 02:29 PM
Sorry peoples we would love to be there and would have been if it was on the sat sun is an off day for us as we work( huge dropped lip ) but hay have to make some money some how .... next one somone proposes would be great on a sat and we will be there wiff bells on cheers jules n doug

doug the slug
27th September 2005, 02:38 PM
next one somone proposes would be great on a sat and we will be there wiff bells on cheers jules n doug

What she said......

Simomatra
27th September 2005, 04:40 PM
Wish I could be there but the bathroom reno has taken precedence and my oldest is home from the Navy just for the weekend.

Definitely catch one of the get-togethers one day

Have a great day

Regards Sam

RufflyRustic
27th September 2005, 04:46 PM
Hi, Does anyone need a lift to Midge's on Sunday and is interested in sharing fuel costs?
I'll be leaving Toowoomba pre 8am to arrive between 10 and 10:30 am.

If by myself, I'll go the inland route. If any BNE takers, I'll go the main highway path.
cheers
RufflyRustic

soundman
28th September 2005, 10:55 PM
looks like I will be able to get there.
move this, re-arrange that.
Its not very often we all get together.
so count me in.
cheers

TEEJAY
29th September 2005, 11:24 AM
Cheers Soundman good news.:)

RufflyRustic
29th September 2005, 02:08 PM
Wot TeeJay said :D
Plus Soundman's got some books for me - double :D

RR

TEEJAY
29th September 2005, 04:09 PM
:D :D :D Touche' :D :D :D :p

dai sensei
29th September 2005, 07:36 PM
Have fun you guys and gals. Don't forget to take plenty of piccy's and post them.

Cheers

Wood Butcher
29th September 2005, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to attend as SWMBO has hust had gall bladder out and not in any state to look after the kids on her own. Hope you all have a great day and look forward to going to the next one.

Zed
29th September 2005, 09:14 PM
i will expect photos and names , othwerwise bad karma will befall you. (read red from zed :D )

enjoy gents, please post pics of the door prizes...

soundman
29th September 2005, 11:45 PM
rowan. mate thats unfortunate. hope she's on the mend.
I might bring a few goodies up.
cheers

RufflyRustic
30th September 2005, 10:29 AM
Goody Goody

Shane Watson
30th September 2005, 07:08 PM
Damnit, just found this thread.....I won't be making this one either midgey...Currently in canberra and well I may be back in BNE by sun but even if i am i will probably have to go into the office anyway grrrrrrr........

soundman
1st October 2005, 01:11 PM
shane misses out again. :(
Ok chaps ( that includes you wendy) next time there is an event on we must all email or pm shane to make sure he knows its on.
If needed arange a possy to aprehend the felow & deliver him to the event.

Caliban
1st October 2005, 01:45 PM
I've put my head on the chopping block, gave Shane a red for not noticing this thread earlier. Beware the wrath of the slighted administrator. :D
I must be feeling brave because I'm sitting in Queensland drinking NSW beer. ;)

Shane Watson
1st October 2005, 03:37 PM
I've put my head on the chopping block, gave Shane a red for not noticing this thread earlier. Beware the wrath of the slighted administrator. :D
I must be feeling brave because I'm sitting in Queensland drinking NSW beer. ;)

Oh, your game seeing as how I can take all your points away...but I won't I'll play fair..... ;) ;)

Now I could email midgy a pic and he could print it and pin it up somewhere for you good folk to enjoy my company, or use me as a dart board, your choice! :D :D

Rocker
1st October 2005, 04:50 PM
Jim,

I think I understand your subtle plan now - you intend to rely on winning a jig as a door-prize to pacify the police :) Midge has not yet released figures of the number of members attending, but I suspect your chances might be rather slim.

We have ways of dealing with jig offenders here; their surgical needs are attended to in the Bundaberg Hospital by interns trained by Dr Patel.

Rocker

soundman
1st October 2005, 10:49 PM
If we printed out shanes picture and then added a phone call we could have a low budget virtual shane. He could even be in the group photo :D

RufflyRustic
1st October 2005, 11:00 PM
Sounds like a good idea!!! Sorry, I don't have a printer at home.

I'm off to bed, need some zzzz for the long drive tomorrow. Travel Safe everyone.

RR

knucklehead
2nd October 2005, 11:20 AM
Well the appeal process has been exhausted. My weekend leave pass has been denied. So unfortunately I will not be able to attend the (ever growing) get together at the home of the Biting Midge.

BUGGER!!!!http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon8.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon8.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon8.gif

Have a great time.

bitingmidge
2nd October 2005, 06:56 PM
Ok Chaps (and Chapettes), I've started a whole new thread just to tell the story of what REALLY happened!!

Hopefully when the others get their photos back from the chemist, they'll post them as well!

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=206414#post206414

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

MathewA
2nd October 2005, 09:15 PM
Well what can I say. Thankyou all for the very warm welcome (not just because it was hot either). Pete and Jo you out did yourselves with the hosting. If this is just the beginning of Michele and I's journey to Aus I'd say that we are in for some very good times indeed. Aussies are as warm as the sun that shines down on us here... But you're crazy drivers - can't have everything perfect now can we;)