PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/thicknesser advice

benji79
8th May 2017, 07:12 PM
Hi all

I have been using a small thicknesser for many years and I recently picked up a new machine for a bargain (see pictures). I managed to get it off the back of my ute after many hours (didn't realise it was 340kgs...). I'm now looking at it thinking that it's MUCH different to my regular thicknesser and has this weird attachment off the side which I have no idea what to do with..

Does anyone know what the small shelf off the side does? I'll figure the thicknesser and jointer parts after a while, but this has me stumped...

Thanks. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170508/80b28cd287115cd48db132aafa2392e9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170508/bd6e3a8b1d5d201e0430a60715275e3a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170508/10db0ac34796f25f6c5788be24a24d3f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shanesmith80
8th May 2017, 07:28 PM
My guess would be a horizontal borer/mortiser. Probably had a cutter that went in the side there where the cutter is and used the table to cut mortises.

Bohdan
8th May 2017, 08:30 PM
Could also be used to drill horizontal dowel holes.

cava
8th May 2017, 08:49 PM
:wts:

aussiepens
8th May 2017, 11:44 PM
It is a Luna machine with a mortise attachment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benji79
9th May 2017, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys. Don't suppose anyone has seen any good videos or manuals for these machines?

AndrewPatrol
10th May 2017, 11:37 AM
I know that Hammer does a video of the C3-31 combination that shows using a horizontal Mortimer on YouTube.

aussiepens
10th May 2017, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys. Don't suppose anyone has seen any good videos or manuals for these machines?

I have a manual on a Luna combination machine. Send me a PM.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benji79
11th May 2017, 07:42 AM
Thanks guys. I have sent a PM John, really appreciate it.

I am am starting to gain confidence with the machine now, but I have found the blades are too low so I'm going to adjust them tonight.

BobL
11th May 2017, 10:17 AM
The fence looks like it's mounted upside down.

Usually that circled edge sits above the outfield table.

benji79
11th May 2017, 05:24 PM
Thanks Bob. Your absolutely right. Figured it out late last night. Doesn't look original.

aussiepens
11th May 2017, 10:13 PM
The fence as shown is correct and is not mounted incorrectly. The fence attaches to the round bar on the right hand side of the picture as shown ie. the end where the stop switch is. That way the recess sits above the cutter head and outfeed table which is on the left in the photo. There is a lever missing from the slot above the stop switch which adjusts the height of the infeed table and there is a depth scale in the small slot in the direction that the arrow points.

Thus you feed the surface planer from the right and when in thicknesser mode it feeds from the opposite end - the outfield table lifts up. You also need a crank handle for the rise and fall of the table underneath when thicknessing.

I trust this all makes sense.

John

Also you should clean the rust from the tables with say a scotch brite pad on an orbital sander - available from the green shed and elsewhere.

Bohdan
11th May 2017, 10:37 PM
The fence is definitely upside down. The sharp angle that is visible on the top of the fence is there so that you can tilt the fence to achieve the same angle in the stock that you are planing.

The clamp on the top is to clamp to the round bar at the front.

Joseseat
11th May 2017, 11:23 PM
Side question - why is the green shed not referred to by name on this forum? Is there some kind of legal issue??

Uncle Al
12th May 2017, 08:31 AM
Side question - why is the green shed not referred to by name on this forum? Is there some kind of legal issue??

Nah, just Aussies being Aussies. Bunnings Wharehouse, to give it it's correct name is known by many as Bunnings, Bunnies, Green shed, The big green shed, the big toy store, Dad's therapy store, the warren, and probably quite a few more.

I think it is the Melbourne Entertainment Centre that is commonly referred to as 'Jeff's Shed', and there would be many more examples of buildings or venues referred to as some other name.

Sporting venues are constantly changing names depending on who the sponsor is at the time which drives me nuts. I have no idea where ANZ Stadium, Alliance Stadium etc. are, but if they are referred to by their suburban location I have half a chance.

Anyway, I'm off to Bunnings to pick up something I might need one of these days.

Alan...