PDA

View Full Version : metal roofing

coolio
13th September 2005, 02:03 PM
Hi i have a metal roof and it is very noisy on cloudy days.During the afternoon when clouds block the sun and there is temp variation over the metal roof it pings and flexes and is noisy.I have been up on the roof and the metal is in good condition (20 yr old house).Im thinking of buying some roofing screws and screwing them all over the roof.Currently the screws are in the ridges of the metal deck.Im thinking of screwing in the low parts every 5th fastener or so for added support.Im thinking even though the current fastners look ok and dont leak they may have loosened a little over time.
Another idea(if it isnt possible to screw into the low part) is to remove some fasteners and replace them with slightly bigger ones so the screws remain in the top of the ridges if this is possible?
Any feedback/ideas greatly appreciated.

Sir Stinkalot
13th September 2005, 02:11 PM
Im thinking of screwing in the low parts every 5th fastener or so for added support.

Yep .... that will screw the roof alright.

If you put a screw in the valley ..... the area where the water runs ..... you will end up with ....
1) Rusty screws.
2) Buildup of crud as the screws block the passage of water.
3) A leaking roof.

Don't know about your other problem .... but fix only on the ridges otherwise you will have other problems.

Barry_White
13th September 2005, 02:41 PM
I worked for Lysaghts for 11 years and encountered this problem quite often with customers.

The cause comes from a couple of areas.

1. If a roof is fixed with screws and is done with a drill instead of a proper roofing screwdriver with a nose cone the creaking will come from different tensions on the screws because of uneven tightening.

The nose cone on a screwdriver allows every screw to be fixed at the same depth without compressing the sheeting. The screw only needs to be tightened to the point where there is only the slightest pressure on the sealing washer on the screw without putting pressure on the roofing sheet.

2. If it is fixed directly to green hardwood battens the sap from the hardword will make the roofing adhere to the batten and as the roof sheeting heats up it builds up tension from the expansion till it gets to a point where it releases and makes a noise from this action.

3. By not installing foil under the roofing it also adds to the problem as the foil allows the roofing to slide under tension when it begins to expand.

As Stinky says do not fix roofing in the valleys for the reasons he stated. Only wall sheeting is fixed in the valleys.

I have a metal roof and the only noise I get is a light tick tick tick and I never notice it. If you have insulation under the roofing you most certainly will not get any noise what-so-ever.

Wongo
13th September 2005, 02:49 PM
Barry is the man to talk to when it comes to roofing. Good on you mate. :)

coolio
14th September 2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks for your insight.There is no foil under the roof,i dont know why it doesnt cost that much to do it on install.
Guess i can try putting some new screws in or ill just have to live with it GRRR ping ping grrr

Barry_White
14th September 2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your insight.There is no foil under the roof,i dont know why it doesnt cost that much to do it on install.
Guess i can try putting some new screws in or ill just have to live with it GRRR ping ping grrr

coolio

Maybe you could borrow or hire an electric screwdriver and just reset all the screws. I would back them all off a fraction and then retighten them setting them to a constant depth. Replace any that have the washers screwed out from under them and set them just so there is just the slightest pressure on the washer.

I would also make sure that you are not standing on the roofing adjacent to where you are putting in the screw so as not to compress the the roofing, hence putting additional pressure on the screw at that point.

This may help the situation.