PDA

View Full Version : Wanted (QLD) Small sheet metal guillotine in working order

Xanthorrhoeas
12th May 2017, 12:43 PM
I'm looking for a bench-top metal guillotine that can cut up to 3 or 4 mm aluminium sheet (old road signs) or recycled/scrap copper sheet (about 2 mm max I think) for artist's printing plates (for my wife, I am no artist). Would need to be able to cut 300 mm wide at least but no larger than 500 mm (space restrictions). It is for occasional use only. I've looked at the Hafco ones and even new they are pretty reasonable $ but, if someone has an unwanted one I am interested.

Given the weight, I am presuming that freight would probably be a killer so would need to available for pick-up within 50 km of Qld 4000.

David

clear out
13th May 2017, 05:05 AM
You may find that gauge even in Al and Copper is too thick for a guillotine that small, a post on the Metalworking site will soon tell you.
If you have a bandsaw or table saw you can definitely cut Al easily and I'd think copper as well.
I have a Compi Saw and use it for non ferrous accurate cutting, although designed for type metal it eats Brass.
That being said a mate is picking up a 1200 wide 3 phase guillotine from me today I'm keeping a 900 treadle
H.

Kidbee
13th May 2017, 09:14 AM
I have a 1200mm wide, foot operated guillotine at work and it definitely won't cut 3 or 4mm aluminium.

Xanthorrhoeas
13th May 2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks clear out and Kidbee. It is pretty obvious that I'm not a metal worker. I have cut aluminium before on my table saw - very sharp edges (though they can be sanded off fairly easily), but have never tried copper. I know there are special blades for Al so maybe I'll look for one of those.

I'll close this thread then.

David

BobL
13th May 2017, 11:07 AM
Thanks clear out and Kidbee. It is pretty obvious that I'm not a metal worker. I have cut aluminium before on my table saw - very sharp edges (though they can be sanded off fairly easily), but have never tried copper. I know there are special blades for Al so maybe I'll look for one of those.

The blade to do this is with is a "negative raked" toothed circular.
It will generate quite a clean cut, but the burrs will need indeed need to be sanded,