PDA

View Full Version : Making French Doors from scratch

tinsmith2
13th September 2005, 05:27 PM
Our next project is the opening the garden. It involves fixing up rock gardens, and 2 sets of stairs and adding a new set, then the plants, and last the old shed/garage (all hail my wife, I have been told).

So my problem at this point is making new French doors. I'd like to know how to make them or a set of plans for them. I am limited by height (the total is 2050mm). What do I look for? I there any plans out there in the net ether?

Tinsmith

boban
13th September 2005, 09:50 PM
Even if I had the time to do it, I wouldn't make french doors. I've bought them for as little as $130 and as much as $170 per door (from Mitre 10 and Bunnings).

I don't know about you but it would take me more than a day to make a door. Then there is the cost of the materials if you already have the tooling (router bits or shaper blades).

You do the math.

If I were you I would concentrate on more cost effective jobs.

Doors are a standard height of 2040mm. You need another 30mm to allow for the head of the jamb and clearance below the door. Maybe more depending on the floor covering. Its probably not a problem with solid doors as you can trim them easily.

tinsmith2
14th September 2005, 10:12 AM
The total space is 2050mm from a concreat floor to the load bearing beams (a skillon roof type I think; . Attached is the layout. If I buy the doors, 2040mm high, that gives me 10mm to hold up the roof. There is no space.

Do they sell short ones or to size?
!!! Or steel section for load bearing (L section) in the red area? !!

( I am starting to get more potental solutions just by sounding it out)

boban
14th September 2005, 09:58 PM
Is this already in place or something to be built? Or are you taking out a wall to put in these doors? If you are then you may need to talk to an engineer.

Can you take a photo and post it?

tinsmith2
15th September 2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks again.....I have places 5 photos of the area I want put french doors. The house is oldrer then me and as hard as a stone. It is not pine, it's like steel.

So I want to remove the existing window and put the door in this area. So in the photos I have highlighted the points that the diamensions are from. 2050mm.

Thanks for any ideas

Theremin
15th September 2005, 07:24 PM
We did this. Actually we took out a window and put in 2 sets of French doors. And when I say "we", I mean our builder. You can see in the photo where the top of the window was (haven't got round to painting the wall yet). We didn't have the height restriction that you have, but you could trim some off the top and bottom of the doors to make them fit.

boban
15th September 2005, 09:50 PM
For one door I dont think you'll have any problems at all, just add another stud about 880mm from another stud.

For a double door, I would get a 100 x 100 galvanised steel lintel and build a frame around that. There's not too much weight from that roof.

And yes you can trim the doors within reason. Talk to the door manufacturer and they will give you the specifications.