PDA

View Full Version : The latest Triton Router Stand RSA300

barrysumpter
13th December 2001, 07:24 AM
Hi all,

I've recently had the opportunity to puchase and assemble the new Triton Router Stand.

I cleared my workbench to made sure I had plenty of room and so I wouldn't get the parts mixed up with previous projects.

The box was glued and held together well.
The internal packing was secure.

As I removed the bits and pieces I noticed the legs were NOT the hinged legs for the RSA200 series. I always liked the legs on the RSA200 since all I had to do was loosen the wingbolts and the legs collapsed under the body for easy and quick storage.

There were very few parts (compared to the workbench). 4 sides, 4 legs, and 4 leg clamps, and the nuts and bolts to keep it all together.

There were 16 Phillips Head Screws and Flange Nuts which were needed to assemble the front and back panels to the side frames which make up the body of the stand.

Embarrassingly, it took me about an hour to assemble this. I kept thinking it was me. But the holes didn't quite line up. For the last two Screws and Nuts I had to use a smaller size.

The 4 leg clamps went on without a hitch.
Although at first I didn't understand what they were for. But it didn't take long to figure it out.

The 4 legs were of two different sizes. The wider two are for the back.

The overall weight is lighter than the RSA200 which makes it a bit easier to move around.

However, the break down is more cumbersum.
Where I used to just loosen the wing nuts on the RSA200. Lift the stand with one hand and collapse the legs with the other.

And when setting up lift with one hand, and pull the legs out with the other, stand it up, tighten the wing nuts, kick each let out, and I'm ready.

I now have to find a place to set the RSA300 upside down. Loosen the leg clamps and remove one wide leg, remove one narrow leg, place the narrow leg into the wide leg (lining up the mounting holes), and slide the combined legs into the holding bays in the table body (again lining up the mounting holes with the mounting stay. Then sliding the mounting latch so the holes in the legs will remain latched to the mounting stay.

Then I get to do it again with the remaining two legs.

And now we're ready for storage.

And reversing these steps to set up.

I'm not sure why Triton decided to go with the leg clamps instead of the hinged legs.
Haven't asked yet.

Nor why the panels were so hard to assemble.
Asked but no other problems were reported.

As another note, the plastic round knobs for the leg clamps come linked together by the same plastic they are made from.

The idea is to simply twist them off and use them. However, I find that small sharp burrs remain on the knobs. And when I try to use them I get poked in the fingertips causing a distracting pain.

So now I simply file these down. Its just the knobs I file and don't need to file any of the other plastic bits since I won't be touching them after assembly.

The last to note is the start and stop switch. Which has the standard front but the back no longer has the mounted plugs. Which, again, I really liked in the RSA200.
I do know that this switch is the most expensive part. Very expensive.
The on/off rocker swith has that very pronounced snap and the standard Triton stop plate is always a comfort.

Since I've sold the RSA200 to buy the RSA300 I can't tell for sure if the foot print is smaller. It seems to be. Therefore taking up slightly less space. But having less table top space might be a concern.

All-in-all I like to see new options and new ways of doing things. But I wish Triton would stay with the tried and true features other than the Triton orange.

However, I can't fault them for using less expensive parts to keep the retail price down for me.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Badger
15th December 2001, 10:25 PM
I agree with most of your points mate but must add one comment. - Yes you are supposed to twist the little red knobs off the moulding but you have to be superman to do it. Damn near gave myself a hernia trying. Finished up cutting the little sods - must be getting weak in my old age!

------------------
Badger - A gruff short tempered animal that sleeps most of the winter

barrysumpter
16th December 2001, 08:02 AM
Hi Badger,

You're right. I got tired twisting and now just use a wire cutter to snip as close as possible.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 16 December 2001).]