PDA

View Full Version : Finish to keep jarrah burl light?

rtyuiop
23rd May 2017, 08:30 PM
Hi folks,

Working on a fairly big jarrah burl bowl with some bright epoxy filling the voids.

I've noticed that when the surface is wet, it's so dark it's almost black. Any suggestions for a finish that will keep it looking as light as possible?

At the moment I'm thinking of just straight wax - any other ideas? Maybe a lightweight oil like organ oil danish?

Cheers,

Danny

Willy Nelson
23rd May 2017, 09:14 PM
Hello Danny
I believe I have a lot of experience here when it comes to finishing Jarrah burl
Firstly, DO NOT use wax, it fills all the little voids which means you need to pick it out.

My personal choice is;
Finish sanding, then blast with HP air to remove all dust
Seal with a Cellulose sealer / Sanding sealer
Apply Danish oil

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

tony_A
23rd May 2017, 09:42 PM
G'day Willy
I also have a couple of burl bowls that will need finishing when they have dried. Understand why you would not use wax but what is you reason for applying sealer prior to Danish Oil.
Tony

dai sensei
23rd May 2017, 10:19 PM
You do realise Jarrah is a dark timber :? It also gets darker with age no matter what you use.

The latest finish would be probably the Nitro Lacquer that is a clear finish. All oil finishes will all darken it to some extent.

Paul39
24th May 2017, 04:02 AM
G'day Willy
I also have a couple of burl bowls that will need finishing when they have dried. Understand why you would not use wax but what is you reason for applying sealer prior to Danish Oil.
Tony

I think the sanding sealer stops the oil from soaking in and darkening the timber. Especially on the end grain. I turn a fair amount of black walnut. If it is not sealed the end grain will be almost black with the side grain a nice rich brown.

rtyuiop
24th May 2017, 07:21 AM
Thanks folks (especially Willy, having seen your jarrah burl work your input is much appreciated!).

Anyone with other suggestions, keep them coming! I know it'll come out dark, I'm just hoping to keep it as light as I can - I'm filling the gaps with epoxy resin with a mix of copper and gold perlex, so I worry the timber is just going to look black next to the bright resin.

Cheers,

Danny

Willy Nelson
24th May 2017, 09:18 PM
G'day Willy
Tony

The sanding sealer, or Cellulose sealer forms a base for the Danish oil. If no sealer is used, the Danish oil soaks in and makes the timber very dark and dull, I mean, really dark.
Jarrah can be a dark timber, (almost deep purple (No, not the band!!!)) or can almost be light pink. I haven't found it to get darker with age though, unless in full sunlight.
Hope this helps
Sincerely
Willy

Jarrahland

Xanthorrhoeas
1st June 2017, 09:28 PM
I have never finished Jarrah and it isn't the easiest to come by here in Brisbane, so I probably won't get much opportunity. However, when finishing other timbers that you want to keep as light as possible the UBeaut white shellac is usually a good choice. Their Hard Shellac is based on white shellac too (I think - have to read the bottle again) as is their sanding sealer (a very dilute form). If you have filled in all the voids in the burl you could use their Shellawax friction polish SHELLAWAX friction polish (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html). I have used the darker version, Shellawax Glow and find the friction finish comes up superbly and shows off the figure really well.

JarrahGeoff
25th March 2019, 04:34 PM
I have a large jarrah burl that was previously beautiful but has faded over the years and now needs work to bring it back to life. It appears to have previously been finished with wax (~10 yrs ago) but I’m not 100% sure as only just got it. Can I sand it back with a few few very fine layers and then treat it from now on with Danish Oil, which I use on other jarrah and eucalyptus burl I have been making? Or do I need to continue to use wax on it - hope I can avoid this!

brainstrust
25th March 2019, 07:20 PM
I'd be surprised if you can get it light at all. Not a big fan of it, just too dark for me. Does have nice grain in there, I just dont have the skill to bring it out!

Willy Nelson
26th March 2019, 11:02 PM
I have a large jarrah burl that was previously beautiful but has faded over the years and now needs work to bring it back to life. It appears to have previously been finished with wax (~10 yrs ago) but I’m not 100% sure as only just got it. Can I sand it back with a few few very fine layers and then treat it from now on with Danish Oil, which I use on other jarrah and eucalyptus burl I have been making? Or do I need to continue to use wax on it - hope I can avoid this!

Hello Geoff
I would consider sanding it back starting with 80 git and work through the grits to 400, then the cellulose sealer and subsequent Danish Oil. Of course, with photos
Willy

JarrahGeoff
27th March 2019, 01:19 PM
Hello Geoff
I would consider sanding it back starting with 80 git and work through the grits to 400, then the cellulose sealer and subsequent Danish Oil. Of course, with photos
Willy
Thanks Willy, I’ll give that a go and post a photo of the end result.

brainstrust
27th March 2019, 06:39 PM
Thanks Willy, I’ll give that a go and post a photo of the end result.

I'd go max to 400 grit, have a look at it at 240 even and see what you think. Either way send pics!!!

JarrahGeoff
20th April 2019, 03:37 PM
I sanded all the way back and through the grit levels up to 600. It’s come up well though the dark nature of the jarrah timber makes it hard to get a good photo. Didn’t use a sealer first so will try that next time.

BobL
20th April 2019, 05:52 PM
. . . . I haven't found it to get darker with age though, unless in full sunlight.

Hummm . . . not my experience - I've only ever seen it get lighter and lighter in sunlight.

My inlaws bought a large 8 seater jarrah dining setting which started out as mid brown. 20 years in their Applecross home out of the sun lost no colours but almost 40 years in their Rockingham sun room turned it into a pale beige colour. We have a set of bookshelves that copped about 1/2 an hour of late afternoon sun through a window when the sun shines - these too have lost colour. Likewise an upstairs bedroom with jarrah floors - not much direct sun but lots of windows that let in light over 20 years and these have faded considerably. The jarrah floors downstairs that were installed at the same time have also lightened up but nowhere near as much.

brainstrust
20th April 2019, 08:19 PM
that is nice and i wouldn't pick it for jarrah, well done. Great shape to0. How big is it?

smiife
20th April 2019, 09:48 PM
Hi guys , ......yeah , I ain, t no expert in jarrah but if willie says 1 coat of sealer then thats what I would do , I have a red mallee burl on the go at the moment ,
I will try Willie, s method of finish on that and see what happens .........
He knows what he is talking about when it comes to burls and finishing.......
You ask for advice , he gives it , so why don, t you take it !!!!!!!!!:C:C