PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Cyclone mkII

Studley 2436
14th September 2005, 08:23 PM
Seeing the first one had it's limitations I made up a bigger better cyclone. Using information from Bill Metz's site (I think that is his name) I concluded that the top diameter = D and the height 1.64D and the bottom diameter D/3 or one third D

Cobbled it together using stuff from Bunnings. Mine is a bit open at the bottom 8 inches compared to the 6 inches it should be, however it isn't bad at doing the job. Later I will choke it down a bit at the bottom. Let me know what you think.

Studley

Studley 2436
14th September 2005, 08:25 PM
Of course I forgot to say that I have fed the dust collection bag out to the side and turned it upside down to get around my height limitations

Studley

MajorPanic
14th September 2005, 08:51 PM
Could you please supply a picture that is not a thumbnail? I have no hope of seeing a pic so small!!! (179X270px is a joke)
Something about 600X800px would be wonderful!

Studley 2436
14th September 2005, 09:10 PM
Sorry about your poor eyesight Major

See how this looks

Yours

Grasshopper

MajorPanic
14th September 2005, 10:37 PM
Well now that I can see it, it's bloody fantastic!!! http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

How does it handle the fine dust??

Bodgy
14th September 2005, 11:03 PM
Srudley

Thats an interesting design. You seem to have cannibalised the Sherwood base unit for the intake section, above the inverted funnel. Good idea, but does it work OK? Also you seem to be blowing into the cyclone rather than the traditional sucking out. I wonder if it makes any difference?

Be interested on your thoughts in a month or so.

If it all works it will save me hours of buggering around building mine.

Pity about the warranty on the D/C tho

Wood Butcher
14th September 2005, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=Bodgy] Also you seem to be blowing into the cyclone rather than the traditional sucking out. I wonder if it makes any difference[?/QUOTE]

Theoretically having the DC set up with the fan blowing in is better as you do not have the pressure drop through the cyclone. The suction at the machines will be better although you do have the problem with big chunks hitting the fan. Almost any commercial DC that you get now has the fan before the bags so obvious the manufacturers of the fans do not consider it to be a big problem.

Studley 2436
14th September 2005, 11:43 PM
I just finished today making some mouldings. Jointing, thicknessing then routing the face and rebate. I guess I have 40 or 50 metres of moulding that started out 140mmx35. Ripped it down the middle to get pieces 95 and 40mm. Wheelie bin is over half full now. I did get some very fine dust blowing out the gaps in the sealing on the bin, so it was getting in but possibly is still blowing around in circles in the bin. It could just be the pressure in the bin though.

Previously I had a cyclone feed into the bin and the DC and dust bag on top. Just a little jointing would choke the bag up with dust. That doesn't happen anymore. After doing all of that work there was about half a litre of fine dust in the dust bag. So it is good but not as good as it could be. I will later try reducing the diameter at the bottom and will get back to you how it works.

Studley

Studley 2436
14th September 2005, 11:48 PM
Talking about scavenging the box at the top is what my ML 392 came in.

Studley

junkboy999
16th September 2005, 12:09 AM
So you have to take that whole thing off the top of your Bin to dump it?

Wongo
16th September 2005, 10:44 AM
It is big and it’s portable. Do you find it hard to hard to move it around? It looks like a big heavy unit sitting on the bin. How difficult is it to take it off when emptying the bin?

Great effort my friend. :)

zenwood
16th September 2005, 04:11 PM
I'm not clear how the fine stuff goes from the cyclone to the bag...?