PDA

View Full Version : GMC table router

MikeThePom
15th September 2005, 04:01 PM
Having been gullible enough to buy one of these poorly designed tables some years ago I became frustrated with the height changing mechanism and its increasing stiffness so about a year ago I decided to take it apart and investigate why it was so stiff. To my surprise there was a huge amount of debris inside the threads so I developed a cleaning routine that I would like to share with you all. I clean it about every 2 weeks and now I have very few problems I have even got the total time down to about 10 minutes.

These are the steps.
1) get a car jack to support the weight of the router and take out the two plastic inserts on the top.
2) unplug the router and unscrew the 2 bolts that hold the on/off switch to the table
3) using a 6mm socket from below and a no#1 cross head screw driver from above remove all of the retaining bolts that hold the router to the table.
4) carefully wind down the jack and pull the router iur of the table
5) I now put the router motor into a vice and use a piece of wood as a lever to undo the height adjusting ring (turn as if to lower the router)
6) take out the adjusting ring and the spring
7) remove the spring clip and slide the whole sliding mechanism off the motor body
8) I use a suede brush to clean all of the threads and a very fine sand aper to remove any residue from the sliding parts
9) before reassembly I spray with a dry slide product that contains teflon.

I have included thumbnails for the stages and also the amount of debris from a claening I did today. The pile is 10mm tall and 50mm in diameter.

The table is now quite useable but this faf had been the incentive to finish my other table. My last hurdle is to design some wheels that I can raise and lower so that it becomes more manoeuvrable.

Regards

Mike