PDA

View Full Version : sanding discs

Tonyz
15th September 2005, 09:12 PM
I have a festo ets150 sander. Having now had a 'tree change' where or how can I get replacement sanding discs esp. 80 & 120 grit...... Tonto

fairwind
4th October 2005, 03:23 PM
Hi Tonto,

I dont know where you can get the discs you want, sorry. I am in the market for an orbital rotary sander and I wonder if you could tell me about yours? Is it a good machine? Light to handle? Stick on discs or velcro? Cost?

I was using a RUPES 150mm up 'til last week when it burnt the armature. Being an old model, RUPES have 'discontinued' the parts for it. A new one of similar size is going to cost $568 + gst !!!

Thanks for all help offered...

shayrebel
4th October 2005, 05:59 PM
any dealer of festool can get the disks for you,cheapest option is to buy by the 100 box,i get my stuff from carbatec in sydney(funny that as i live in sydney)

Sturdee
4th October 2005, 06:09 PM
The cheapest way to get these disks is to buy the plain 150mm disks from places like Supercheap or even Bunnings and then buy a set of punches and punch the holes needed for your sander. :D

That's what I did and this brought the cost per disk down to 40 cents. :D

Peter.

echnidna
4th October 2005, 06:36 PM
Hi Tonto,

I dont know where you can get the discs you want, sorry. I am in the market for an orbital rotary sander and I wonder if you could tell me about yours? Is it a good machine? Light to handle? Stick on discs or velcro? Cost?

I was using a RUPES 150mm up 'til last week when it burnt the armature. Being an old model, RUPES have 'discontinued' the parts for it. A new one of similar size is going to cost $568 + gst !!!

Thanks for all help offered...

You should be able to get it rewound. A rupes is worth keeping

Gaza
4th October 2005, 07:33 PM
You can get the disks from most smash repair suppliers such as your local holden or ford dealer spare parts section, they are also stocked at floor sanding trade depots, they cost under 0.40c pre punched ready to go.

Ratbag
5th October 2005, 11:04 AM
There's a few sources available for your sandong discs: but first, a gentle warning about aftermarket alternatives. Most 150mm. discs available are the standard 6 hole variety. However there are other alternatives: 6 hole (Bosch & most others), 6 + 8 hole (Makita), 8 + 8 hole (AEG/Atlas Copco/Milwaukee), and finally 8 + 1 hole (Festool). Don't be convinced otherwise. While some others will work in a fashion, the 8 + 1 configuration works best, lasts longest, and is the least likely to clog in use. Which is precisely why Tooltechnic Systems developed it. You can of course get any Original disks you want by mail order from any obliging Festool dealer, however a cheaper alternatinve for larger quantities is available 'through the web from Japan Woodworker in the USA or CSM Just Abrasives in the UK for aftermarket Swiss Hermes Abrasives in the appropriate configuration. Use your backing pad to make a template for a "disc locater" from plywood and 8mm. dowel. This will speed your disc changes by 500 to 1000% and mean far, far fewer ploblems with poorly located discs blocking the extraction holes. Forget making your own discs unless you have lots of time on your hands, as you can only punch the discs one at a time, and the centre vent hole would require a larger punch to work properly. A lot of afternarket abrasives are rubbish. I personally reconmmend you stick with the quality brands like Festool's own, or other reliable brands such as Hermes, Mirka, 3M and Carborundum. To the best of my knowledge, only the first 2 are available in the 150mm. 8 + 1 hole Config. I hope this helps.

gatiep
5th October 2005, 09:57 PM
Tonto

I would like to think that you bought your Festool sander because of the quality and reliability that Festool products offer over the cheapies. Festool market their own line of abrasives in order to ensure that the tool operates and performs within the quality finish range that it was designed to do. Using some cheap after market abrasives defeats the purpose of the tool purchase in the first place. Its a bit like buying a Ferrari Formula 1 racer and expecting to win races while running it on kerosene.
The Festool abrasives are dearer than most after market stuff but that is where the comparison stops. The quality finish, the number of sq meters that the disc will sand, ie how long it will last before you have to discard it is just not comparable with the cheap stuff. I work part time in the woodworking industry and it took a lot of convincing before I accepted that there is a huge advantage in using the Festool abrasives with their sanders. Initially I couldn't or more correctly wouldn't want to, understand why the Festool users kept buying the "expensive" abrasives. Once I gave their abrasives a try, I became a convert.

It really just does the job better, quicker, lasting longer and with a lot less dirt floating around because the inbuilt turbo dust system works optimally.

I know that Carbatec in Perth sells the Brilliant ( white ) and Ruby ( red ) Festool abrasives in boxes of 100 or in packets of 10. ( Most their staff own Festool sanders and use Festool abrasives in their home workshops ).
They do post stuff all over the country. Give them a call and have it posted to you. Their website is www.carbatecwa.com.au (http://www.carbatecwa.com.au) (PS. make sure you have the wa in carbatecwa, otherwise you'll get the Brisbane shop )
Enjoy your sanding.

Rubber.Piggy
25th October 2005, 02:53 PM
I get mine from a supplier in sydney, i forget his name but he is in annondale. He sells his festo sanding discs very cheap, almost cost price i think.