PDA

View Full Version : Laminated Pine Bedside Tables WIP

dai sensei
9th June 2017, 11:32 PM
I was asked to make some 700mm dia x 600mm high bedside turned tables a while back. Rather than using some timbers I already had the client asked for laminated pine. The concept and methodology of glueing up the timbers was discussed in more detail here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/biscuits-laminated-table-top-213612) but in summary I decided to use Titebond III glue without biscuits to make the components.

This was going to be my first project turned on my new dedicated bowl lathe. Actually Jim McConnachie's old lathe :2tsup:

Based on the clients dimensional requirements for the top/bottom/spindle (unfortunately kept changing right up to the end :rolleyes:) I came up with a plan to make them and a detailed shape.
413833 413834

First job I had was to make some scissor panel clamps for the glue ups that could take up to 300mm thick. I made them from Aluminium based on some concepts I got off the internet. Next was gluing up the panels ready for turning. Following photos show a central spindle glue up using 70x70mm, a top and bottom glue up using 90x42mm, and a top and bottom connection plate glue up from 90x32mm.
413836 413837 413838

Left the glue ups fr a week for the glue to dry at depth but couldn't resist doing a assembly of them to see what it looked like
413840 413839

After cutting the glue up to approximately round on the bandsaw it was time to start turning. The big lathe uses only faceplates so I made some sacrificial waste blocks out of laminated pine that were then hot melt glued (on face and along outer edges) onto the glue ups. These were later removed by removing the outer edge glue and then using chisels and screwdrivers to lever off the blocks. First were the large tops, turning the bottoms first. As all the plates are joined with dowels, I drilled a hole in the middle of the bottom, that was then used to locate the tops when turned around by using a short length of dowel in the centre of the faceplate sacrificial block. The top tops were then turned and sanded to 250 grit (like all the parts).
413843 413842 413841

In a similar manner I then turned the bottoms, turning their tops first this time. I then turned the top and bottom joiner plates but on my normal lathe using a chuck and screw mount (that is later drilled out to dowel size)

Then last off are the central spindles turned agin on my normal lathe
413849 413848 413847

I then glued and screwed the connection plates to the main spindle with long SS coach screws

The bases are then glued on with the dowels extending from the bottom through to the spindle. The tops were then sat in place for the client's review
413853 413854

Unfortunately for me, the client decided she wanted square sides, plus a reduced diameter (the bedroom was smaller than she thought). The central dowel hole was used again to remount the table tops for re-turning. Then the table tops were glued on and the tables were finished from my perspective.
413852 413850 413851

And last of course is adding my mark, a little engraved brass plate, on the bottom

The client intends to paint these with Milk Paint

Jonzjob
10th June 2017, 03:33 AM
That is a very impressive pair of tables Neil! But, bedside tables? :?

I like your WIP and that's a great idea to use a dowel hole in the centre of the parts for remounting. I will remember that one. I use a faceplate with a block screwed to it a lot and that locater would save a lot of heart ache on the odd occasion when the 2 have parted :C

I'll bet she is well chuffed with them, she should be..

Edit : - I was under the impression that I have clicked the 'like' for the post, but it has shown that I am requestion pikkies?? Not true 'onest :doh:

Uncle Al
10th June 2017, 07:16 AM
A great write-up Neil, and plenty of good progress photos. Apart from a couple of very nice tables, you have ended up with some very handy clamps for gluing panels which I am sure you will make use of in the near future.
I had the impression there were going to be more than two tables made, is this just the start of a small production run?

Certainly a different job to your normal pen turning, but they all make the brain work as you plot the 'how to' parts of the project.

Keep up the good work,

Alan...

dai sensei
10th June 2017, 08:56 AM
.. you have ended up with some very handy clamps for gluing panels which I am sure you will make use of in the near future.

Yes they will be useful for some dining tables I will be making later in the year(?) from some cracked slabs that will be cut into boards

..I had the impression there were going to be more than two tables made, is this just the start of a small production run?..

Originally she wanted 4 and possible more in future, but she changed her mind, could have been something to do with price for the laminated version :rolleyes:. She decided on 2 to start with and then go from there.

mick661
10th June 2017, 08:59 AM
Good job

dai sensei
10th June 2017, 08:59 AM
That is a very impressive pair of tables Neil! But, bedside tables? :?

Yeh weird shape to me for bedside tables, and the changed sizing makes them look stubby now, but the client is always right :-

old1955
10th June 2017, 02:29 PM
Thanks for a great WIP Neil.

Ross

Jonzjob
10th June 2017, 03:57 PM
Yeh weird shape to me for bedside tables, and the changed sizing makes them look stubby now, but the client is always right :-

I beg to differ slightly there Neil.

The customer is not always right, BUT they are never wrong.

A subtle difference.:D