PDA

View Full Version : timber rescued from becoming firewood, would love some help to ID.

j_shell
21st June 2017, 01:50 AM
G'day all!

I recently talked a friend out of some timber as he was going to throw it in the fire place and it looked way too nice for that. I have no idea what it is and i've had many conflicting suggestions. If anyone can help that would be fantastic. I've included photos of foliage too, and might be worth nothing the trees are growing in the southern metro area of SA.
Thanks in advance,

J.414608414609414610414611

old1955
21st June 2017, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will be along to give you a hand.

j_shell
21st June 2017, 04:24 PM
Thanks mate, been a member for a while but never had much time to contribute, looking forward to being more involved in the discussions. Cheers

useit
21st June 2017, 04:30 PM
me to

Kidbee
21st June 2017, 08:15 PM
It seems to have some wattle characteristics but I am not familiar with South Australian acacias. The wood is very attractive.

dai sensei
23rd June 2017, 12:05 AM
Have no idea but it looks nice

IanW
18th July 2017, 09:12 AM
Saw this thread a bit late because I don't read this section often, but since you didn't get any real suggestions, I thought I might have a crack at it. The grain in the wood has prominent medullary rays, which rules out any Acacia I know, and while the foliage does look superficially like something you'd find on an Acacia, they are true leaves (note how the secondary veins angle off the mid-rib). The 'leaf' of most Acacias is actually a bit of flattened stem, and has parallel veins with no prominent mid-rib. From the wood, I'd be thinking something from the Proteaceae, and with those flower-buds, I reckon Hakea spp. would be a good starting point. That's as close as I can get, not being familiar with your local flora. Hakeas & Grevilleas can be difficult to separate, & various examples are planted as ornamentals and street trees in dry areas, which can complicate things greatly for a very amateur botanist like me.....

Cheers,

artme
18th July 2017, 10:19 AM
Just came acroos this and have ro agree with what IanW has to say. My first thought, without doing any reading was perhaps a warratah or a grevillea due to the medullary rays.