Gday i would be interested to know how many turners on here entered this year

1 Here

Jim

mick661
26th June 2017, 08:54 PM
Me 2

Picko
26th June 2017, 10:49 PM
Not this year. Hope to return 2018, all being well.

Mobyturns
27th June 2017, 06:26 AM
Have entered in the past in Novice & Intermediate and done well. Plan to get serious again.

george mavridis
27th June 2017, 08:17 AM
Seeing the entries in this exhibition I would assume that to enter any items into the show they would have to be a very high quality.

Gabriel
27th June 2017, 08:45 AM
Seeing the entries in this exhibition I would assume that to enter any items into the show they would have to be a very high quality.

This is true George, the quality and artistry is magnificent, and whilst my skill level isn't there (yet *crossed fingers*) I see it as something to aspire to and work towards rather than just marvel at and strike it off my list.

I would hope (as I am sure the organisers would) people are inspired by the event rather than put it in the 'above my paygrade' box.

I assume this is why they have the 'novice' section - though that name doesn't seem to fit the skill of the works.

For me personally, I'll be getting a hold of the guidelines and rules for next year, give a piece or two a crack and if they're loungeroom mantle piece worthy I may try entering them (though I see it as a 5 year plan)

You should have a go too George - surprise yourself. I have seen a few of your pieces and love them.....the judges could too.

mick661
27th June 2017, 04:37 PM
If you enter and get judge you will get scores which will tell you where you can improve
Design
Turning
Level of difficulty
Finish.
There is also the age old beauty is in the eye of the beholden.
Cheers Mick

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th June 2017, 08:36 PM

I used to be a member in one of the clubs that held AWTEX and spent some time on the doors. :)

I've seen some ratty pieces entered... and in the past have entered some that I probably shouldn't have. Everything is put on display and eligible for judging... but the judges time is limited and they won't look twice at tat. :shrug:

I should say that I have won a few firsts in the appropriate Novice sections, but I've a loooong way to go before any of my pieces would be considered at the hjigher levels. (I despise finishing. It's my kryptonite...)

hughie
27th June 2017, 10:51 PM
1 for me

mick661
27th June 2017, 11:25 PM
So what is wrong with keeping on trying. You never know if you dont have a go

powderpost
28th June 2017, 11:15 AM
So what is wrong with keeping on trying. You never know if you dont have a go

Could not agree more, I considered my stuff of inferior quality, and entered in 2010. Definitely have a go

Jim

smiife
28th June 2017, 09:02 PM
Could not agree more, I considered my stuff of inferior quality, and entered in 2010. Definitely have a go

Jim

Hi jim, you have come a long way In 7 years mate !!:o
I couldn, t Imagine your work as inferior quality........

On another note " how many turners " the awtex download of
Winners has 150 names (some are multi winners )
I have only seen a few photos ?
I do wonder what others have produced , what they look like ? Etc ......
Anyone else have any piccies ?
Sorry mick didn, t mean to hijack your thread ...:C

mick661
29th June 2017, 10:38 AM
Photos will be on the site when the dvd comes out i assume. When i get some time i will post some of the pics my boy took.
Cheers Mick

mick661
2nd July 2017, 11:10 AM
So only three members of this forum entered this year i am surprised at that result

smiife
2nd July 2017, 05:40 PM
So only three members of this forum entered this year i am surprised at that result

Hi mick , I am surprised too.....it seems very hard to get
any Info on this exhibition ? No info on there website ?
No info on F.B. site ?
I did enter some pieces (will start another thread) ,
But I had to wait till I got my entries back to find out
which one, s won !:no:
Anyhoo ! Where are the other entries ....come on guys !
Let us all see what you did !:roll:

woodPixel
2nd July 2017, 06:02 PM
Now if they had a category for "The Cats New Bowl" or "Firewood" I'd be on a winner!

Mobyturns
9th July 2017, 09:15 AM
Hi mick , I am surprised too.....it seems very hard to get
any Info on this exhibition ? No info on there website ?
No info on F.B. site ?
I did enter some pieces (will start another thread) ,
But I had to wait till I got my entries back to find out
which one, s won !:no:
Anyhoo ! Where are the other entries ....come on guys !
Let us all see what you did !:roll:

Welcome to being an entrant who can't attend the venue as it would be nice to receive information on winners and placings while the event is on.

Yes it is an issue that affects non-attending entrants and requires a solution but as the event is run totally by volunteers it is another demand upon their limited time and resources. I think they do an extraordinary job now with such a well presented exhibition.

smiife
9th July 2017, 05:09 PM
Welcome to being an entrant who can't attend the venue as it would be nice to receive information on winners and placings while the event is on.

Yes it is an issue that affects non-attending entrants and requires a solution but as the event is run totally by volunteers it is another demand upon their limited time and resources. I think they do an extraordinary job now with such a well presented exhibition.

Hi moby, unfortunately work commitments stop me from attending
such events , (I only wish I could be there ) .....
I certainly wasn, t knocking what the organizers do !
I think they all do an excellent job , just not much Info
after the event , I received my entries back with one
piece missing , It turned out it had sold !!........ I received
a cheque on friday ! Very surprised :o

mick661
9th July 2017, 10:19 PM
I agree it would be good for the entrants that are interstate could get there resuls straight away but there is a lot of work to be done after the judging is complete. I am sure the committee would take it on board.
Cheers Mick

Sturdee
9th July 2017, 11:26 PM
The competition results are available on AWTEX website when the show opens showing the name of the winners and their exhibit number.

Whilst this gives some indication it would be better if a copy of the catalogue was posted as well on the website like it was done for 2016. Posting the catalogue could be done soon after the entries close well prior to the exhibition.

Then a quick perusal of both would give those not available to attend their results immediately.

Peter.

mick661
10th July 2017, 07:54 AM
If the committee had time i am sure it could be sorted. I helped with the pack up after the event that took until about 9pm on the sunday . They really need a few more volunteers during the setting up and over the weekend of the exhibition. Maybe there are a few of you guys out that could donate some time .??

Mobyturns
11th July 2017, 06:43 AM
Peter, can you post a link to the results please. I can't find them on this site - The Australian Woodturning Exhibition (http://awtex.com.au/) I'm sure its just me having a seniors moment.

mick661
11th July 2017, 07:54 AM
Gday when you go to the awtex site obove where it says type your search is a box with a few lines click on that then scroll down to results then down load it is an excell spread sheet.
Cheers Mick

Sturdee
11th July 2017, 10:13 AM
Peter, can you post a link to the results please. I can't find them on this site - The Australian Woodturning Exhibition (http://awtex.com.au/) I'm sure its just me having a seniors moment.

On the website go to the drop down box "Getting turning for 2017" and then to the last item is the 2017 results. As Mick said it's an Excel spreadsheet.

This was on the website prior to the show opening and all it needed as well was a catalogue posted on the site, similar to last year. I know that the committee has the printed catalogue at least a week prior to the show so posting it on the website ought not to be a major problem.

That would solve everyone's desire to know their results.

Peter.