PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc Lathe and attaching an independent 4 jaw chuck

bpbuilder
28th June 2017, 06:01 PM
Hi Guys

I’ve got a Vicmarc VL200 wood lathe with an M30 x 3.5mm spindle nose thread. I want to attach an independent 4 jaw chuck, essentially ‘meant’ for a metal lathe. I’m after something of about the 160mm size, to get the gripping size I’m after as well as the through bore.

Has anyone ever done this? And how to did you attach it? i.e. custom threaded back plate, or an off-the-shelf back plate / threaded chuck with an adapter? Or something else?

artful bodger
28th June 2017, 06:35 PM
Vicmarc do have a range of thread adapters available. Failing that you could get a machine shop to turn you up a custom one. I have done that before to get a Vicmarc chuck to fit a lathe with a fairly large spindle nose thread.

NeilS
28th June 2017, 06:36 PM
You can get MW chucks with that size thread. I have several, but they are scroll chucks. I don't know if independent 4 jaws chucks come in that thread size. Others may know.

What job do have that requires independent jaws?

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Big Shed
28th June 2017, 06:57 PM
Most of the independent 4 jaw chucks are for metal lathes, and most are mounted to the lathe via a backplate, which has to be then threaded for the spindle thread.

Here is a 150mm one

Lathe Emco Maximat V10 150mm 4 Jaw Chuck *Independent jaws* Near New (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lathe-Emco-Maximat-V10-150mm-4-Jaw-Chuck-Independent-jaws-Near-New-/122497198888?hash=item1c8566eb28:g:v0MAAOSwfRdZGTk5)

but most are 80/100 or 125mm

Edit:

Whatever size the centre hole in your chuck will be, it will always be limited by the size of the MT2(?) inside your headsock spindle.

bpbuilder
28th June 2017, 11:58 PM
Most of the independent 4 jaw chucks are for metal lathes, and most are mounted to the lathe via a backplate, which has to be then threaded for the spindle thread.

Not necessarily. Chucks are also camlock mounted on a metal lathe.

Yes, as I mentioned in my post I'm wanting to adapt an independent 4 jaw to my wood lathe which is typically for a metal lathe. The M30 3.5mm nose on my lathe is not a typical metal lathe spindle nose thread hence it's m looking like a retrofit / a backplate which is not off-the-shelf.

I guess a machine shop might be the best option as
artful bodger mentioned in his post. Looks like the Vicmarc adapters don't have an extensive range of M30 3.5mm female.

Just thought with a bit of luck there might be a magic solution that I've overlooked :) Custom it is...

Whatever size the centre hole in your chuck will be, it will always be limited by the size of the MT2(?) inside your headsock spindle.

That is true if you want to pass work or tools through the spindle bore, but if you just need to use the distance of the chuck body or part of that distance then the larger bore of the chuck becomes beneficial.

clear out
29th June 2017, 10:00 AM
I've adapted a few metalwork chucks to wood lathes over the years and the quick fix is to just get a stock faceplate from that lathe large enough to mount the chuck on.
I always had access to a metal lathe so machining the shoulder and drilling for the correct bolt holes was easy.
One of the members from the Metal forum up your way could do it.
H.

Sturdee
29th June 2017, 10:05 AM
Just thought with a bit of luck there might be a magic solution that I've overlooked :) Custom it is...

Vermec makes spindle adaptors (http://www.vermec.com/vermec-lathe-accessories.html) to the sizes you specify, give them a call as I'm sure they can help you.

Peter.

bpbuilder
29th June 2017, 07:04 PM
I've adapted a few metalwork chucks to wood lathes over the years and the quick fix is to just get a stock faceplate from that lathe large enough to mount the chuck on.

Nice solution I might use this suggestion in the future.

Vermec makes spindle adaptors (http://www.vermec.com/vermec-lathe-accessories.html) to the sizes you specify, give them a call as I'm sure they can help you.

Excellent, I'm going with this - it means I can use my existing metal lathe chucks with threaded backplates/direct threads on both lathes. Actually Vermec slipped my mind, they've been excellent help in the past (as has Vicmarc). Perfect, thanks... :D