PDA

View Full Version : Painting Plywood Paper tiger

PaperTiger
17th September 2005, 11:30 AM
I'm just about to repaint my paper tiger (2nd time) as the paint has worn on the leading edges of the hulls (son drags it up the beach).

I want to use automtive acrylic paint (due to colour choice) what can I use as a sealer/primer on the bare timber?

The last time I painted the tiger I used "International" marine paint. The top coat and primer have been completly sanded back. Once painted I also want to lay a couple of clear coats over the top, just to give it a bit of depth.

Any advice appreciated.

Iain
18th September 2005, 09:25 AM
Many moons ago when I sailed Mirrors we would put a fibreglass tape over those areas to offer a bit of protection for 'dragging' up the beach etc.
I thought a two pack would be a better option or can you do this in clear over the colour of your choice as it is as hard as nails.

Gumby
18th September 2005, 01:51 PM
Many moons ago when I sailed Mirrors we would put a fibreglass tape over those areas to offer a bit of protection for 'dragging' up the beach etc.
I thought a two pack would be a better option or can you do this in clear over the colour of your choice as it is as hard as nails.

How the heck did you ever fit into a Mirror ? :D :D :D

I sanded my PT back many years ago and used good marine enamel with great success. Sprayed on too. We never dragged it on the sand though :eek: It was a racing boat.

Iain
18th September 2005, 04:16 PM
I wus a 10 stone scrawny little bastard when I was in the RAAF sailing mirrors and upwards, fair dinkum.

bitingmidge
18th September 2005, 10:17 PM
Don't let him drag it on the sand!!!

DON'T LET HIM DRAG IT ON THE SAND!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Shoot to kill!!!

Or just give the bare timber a few coats of epoxy before painting.

P
;)