PDA

View Full Version : Wanted (QLD) Saw setting pliers

Xanthorrhoeas
30th June 2017, 08:50 PM
I once lived in Sydney and had some very lovely neighbours. We moved over 20 years ago and yet they still telephone for our birthdays, even though they are in their 80's and 90's! OK, what am I going on about you say? Well, my lovely old ex-neighbour is a wonderful craftsman and does some superb woodwork, marquetry, fully detailed models of boats in cases/bottles etc.

He is looking for a set of saw setting pliers to reset his ancient handsaws. The local hardwares do not even know what he is talking about! Is there anyone on here that has a reasonably priced, functional set that I can purchase to send to him? Alternatively, if you happen to live in Sydney and can deliver a set to him in Neutral Bay I could pay for them.

Please contact me if you have any to offer.

Yes, I have looked at eBay and they have things but want a lot for them and a lot for freight. Since I know nothing about such things I would rather pay a forums member to supply something that actually works.

Thanks

David

Simplicity
30th June 2017, 09:12 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a spare one or two I have a look on the weekend.(Sunday)

Cheers Matt

Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief Tiff
30th June 2017, 09:18 PM
I'm passing through Wondai on Wednesday; Wondai Traders has dozens of saw sets of every size imaginable. If there is a specific type or brand he's after I can have a look for you. If he can't identify a particular one if you tell me what kind of saws he has I can find one suitable.

rob streeper
30th June 2017, 09:38 PM
Get him the Somax/Eclipse type, there are two sizes. or a Stanley 42X. These are the most consistent in my experience.

Simplicity
30th June 2017, 09:53 PM
Get him the Somax/Eclipse type, there are two sizes. or a Stanley 42X. These are the most consistent in my experience.

Somax and Eclipse I see quite a bit off.
The Stanley to me seem a bit elusive!
Not sure if it's me or a regional thing.
Remember Rob you have a slightly smaller land mass and a whole lot more people.

Cheers Matt

rob streeper
30th June 2017, 10:20 PM
Somax and Eclipse I see quite a bit off.
The Stanley to me seem a bit elusive!
Not sure if it's me or a regional thing.

Interesting. The Somax sets are somewhat less common here than are 42X's. Neither is very common however. Plenty of other types of Stanley 42's, especially 42W's. I prefer Somax at this point though I am planning to investigate the Disston Triumph line.

Bushmiller
1st July 2017, 01:31 AM
David

The trick is to get something that works! I agree that the Stanley 42X and the Somax are good. They are the models I use. I think Eclipse have an equivalent. I will have a look to see what I have. I have many saw sets, but few are serviceable. Does your friend have a headband magnifier? I think that may be essential for setting and filing.

Regards
Paul

Xanthorrhoeas
1st July 2017, 10:58 AM
This is why I enjoy these forums so much! Thank-you all for your comments and suggestions. Another member has very kindly offered to deliver my friend Tony a working Eclipse 77 next week (gratis), so hopefully, that will have him all set to go (pun intended).

Paul, I do not know if Tony has a headband magnifier, but, given his age and the fine quality of his work he must have something. I will talk to him to see if he knows about them.

It is amazing how we all so dependent on the internet these days, and how limiting it is for someone from a generation that has never used computers. I am also sending Tony a marking knife as, being dependent on the local hardware means such items are not available to him.

Thanks again to all,

David

Bushmiller
1st July 2017, 12:47 PM
The bonhomie within the Forum is well known. It is very emotional to realise it is reaching beyond the Forum. Legendary!

Congratulations David.

Regards
Paul