PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Vicmarc has been busy

Willy Nelson
30th June 2017, 09:56 PM
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen
with all this time off, I have been busy. Did a gallery run and filled the ute with bowls, burls and platters. Really happy with the quality of these works, and the Vicmarc allows me to work quicker and safer due to the increased capacity and variable speed makes a huge difference, should have bought one years ago.

Despite having a wood fire in the shed, I can't believe how cold it has been, down to about 4 degrees at times. I don't know how you guys in the colder climes do it! And in snow too. Bugger that

Anyhoo, all are finished with at least 10 coats of Danish oil and hand rubbed.

The timbers include, Jarrah, Jarrah burl, Wandoo burl, Sheoak, Red Morrel and York Gum Burl

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

mummatoni
30th June 2017, 11:36 PM
Very nice

keep on plugging away

Nubsnstubs
1st July 2017, 12:17 AM
That's some fine looking inventory you have there. Hope it will all sell, just to keep you busy in that cold. What is a ute? I know it's your means of transportation, but what is it? ....... Jerry (in Tucson)

bueller
1st July 2017, 02:40 AM
It's an Australian pasttime shortening words, ute is just short form for utility truck ☺️ Bit different to the ones you're used to in the US though, ours are more like a sedan with a tray on the back instead of back seats and a trunk. Very common with plumbers/electricians/carpenters etc.

Here's mine, one of my favourite things in the world.

http://dynimages.themotorreport.com.au/KxrcPZDT9BI9o998EG-GKsUjhrc=/fit-in/600x450/filters:fill(FFFFFF)/vehicles/used/2002/MAZDA/BRAVO/2002_MAZDA_BRAVO_used_CC1829226_1.jpg

artme
1st July 2017, 07:59 AM
You have been a busy boy Willy!! All looks good from here!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

What Danish oil did you apply? I have used Liberon on a couple of bowls lately. The Mango bowl came up very well
but I was a bit disappointed in the eucalypt bowl. I am thinking of putting it on the lathe and using steel wool and
turps to rub it back. Depending on how that comes out I will then clean it up with metho.

Uncle Al
1st July 2017, 08:16 AM
You have trained that lathe well! Once you have a variable speed lathe, it is very difficult to go back to a conventional drive machine, they really have made a difference to the pleasure one gets from spinning a bit of wood into a masterpiece, or just a bit of fancy firewood.

Hope you do well with the sale of your fine work.

Alan...

Christos
1st July 2017, 08:25 AM
You always seems to do a large lot of pieces in one go. I guess that's one way of reducing the pile of wood. :U

smiife
1st July 2017, 08:36 PM
Hi willy , very nice as usual , hope you sell them all , help
pay for the new beastie , one question with burls and d.o.
What do you do , let each coat dry off or just keep loading
up the d.o.?

Willy Nelson
1st July 2017, 10:31 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen

I hope to answer all questions.

A. My choice of Danish Oil is Scandinavian oil (Feast Watson, a division of Dulux)

B. I seal the timber with Cellulose sealer, then apply the oil with 0000 steel wool, work up a slurry, then buff off. Wait till dry, do it again, up to 15 coats for some timbers.

C. Yes, I do batches. Have done production work and this approach is by far the most productive. Talking about CDO (that's like having OCD, but I have to have the letters in alphabetical order :;), I generally turn 20-30 bowls, arrange them by size (largest to smallest) and fit the Vicmarc Coles jaws and then do what I call a 'Bum sesh'. This is a session where I turn away the spigots on the bottoms on the bowls. When doing the Arbortec, same deal, do 10 at a time.

D. Ute. Utility vehicle, my choice is a Diesel 2003 Triton (called Terry), fantastic for shooting, chainsawing, going bush and motorbikes. (Jerry, my preferred vehicle would be a Ford F650, with someone paying for the fuel).

E. Anything I have forgotten??

Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Willy Nelson
1st July 2017, 10:42 PM
Jerry
This is Terry Triton on a Burl hunting expedition
Willy

smiife
2nd July 2017, 05:57 PM
Thanks willy , :2tsup:
Love the "bum sesh ":U:U
You make me laugh !!!!

countstefan
12th July 2017, 01:06 PM
That lot looks fantastic

Jstegall
15th July 2017, 03:45 AM
[QUOTE=Willy Nelson;2033149]Ladies and Gentlemen

I hope to answer all questions

C. Yes, I do batches. Have done production work and this approach is by far the most productive. Talking about CDO (that's like having OCD, but I have to have the letters in alphabetical order :;), I generally turn 20-30 bowls, arrange them by size (largest to smallest) and fit the Vicmarc Coles jaws and then do what I call a 'Bum sesh'. This is a session where I turn away the spigots on the bottoms on the bowls. When doing the Arbortec, same deal, do 10 at a time.

Yep, CDO is definitely what ails me...according to my bride.