PDA

View Full Version : How to use this site

Ausworkshop
17th September 2005, 07:29 PM
I've been coming in and out of this forum for a while now & was just wondering a few things about using it.

When you do a post and wish to return to it a few days later to check if anyone has replied, what is the easiest way to find it without having to search down through them all?

If I want to see all the posts I have made, I currently do a search for my name in members then click on 'view all posts from this member' but there must be an easier way.

I've tried bookmarking the page where I wish to return to later but when I return to it later it seems to have expired.

Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks

Grunt
17th September 2005, 07:32 PM
If you click on User CP on the menus above you will see all the threads that you have posted in since the last time you logged in.

Grunt

Ausworkshop
17th September 2005, 07:47 PM
I just get this when I click on it.

There are no subscribed threads to display in this folder for this time period.

ozwinner
17th September 2005, 08:05 PM
In your use CP you can direct the board to notify you via email, when you get a reply to one of your posts.

Al :)

Ausworkshop
18th September 2005, 03:56 PM
In your use CP you can direct the board to notify you via email, when you get a reply to one of your posts.

Al http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/smile.gif

Ok, but there is no way of returning to the post if no-one has replied is that right?

Driver
18th September 2005, 04:31 PM
Click on "Search" at the top of the page, select Advanced Search. In the Search page, type your own name in the appropriate panel on the right. This will then show all threads to which you have contributed for the time period you specify.

Ian007
18th September 2005, 04:36 PM
I just get this when I click on it.

There are no subscribed threads to display in this folder for this time period.

Andrew look at the bottom right of the user CP "View all Subscribed Threads" is what you want :D

Barry_White
18th September 2005, 06:04 PM
If you click on your own Avatar when in a thread that you have subscribed to it will bring up your details and there are two links. One will take you to all the threads you have subscribed to and the other one will take you to all the threads you have started.

DPB
18th September 2005, 06:35 PM
OK, here's one that bugs me.:mad: (Likely there is a fix that I'm unaware of.)

When I reply to a thread, like this one, after I have posted my response, is there a simple way back to other threads without going back through the empty "reply to thread" box?

Gumby
18th September 2005, 06:40 PM
I just click 'new posts' again.

That's about the only button I use

DPB
18th September 2005, 06:44 PM
I just click 'new posts' again.

That's about the only button I use

Thanks, Gumby, never noticed that before. I'll try it now!:D

DPB
18th September 2005, 06:45 PM
:D It worked!:D

Gumby
18th September 2005, 07:17 PM
:D It worked!:D

Of course it did. Any green donations gratefully expected :D :D

Grunt
18th September 2005, 07:20 PM
Give the man red. He's begging.

Gumby
18th September 2005, 07:23 PM
Give the man red. He's begging.

hahaha...check this out Doggie breath :D

ozwinner
18th September 2005, 07:28 PM
hahaha...check this out Doggie breath :D

Yarrrrhh.
But who is Capt'n??
Bow before me.....ya scervy mob :D :D

Yeah right...............................

Al :D

Barry_White
18th September 2005, 08:09 PM
OK, here's one that bugs me.:mad: (Likely there is a fix that I'm unaware of.)

When I reply to a thread, like this one, after I have posted my response, is there a simple way back to other threads without going back through the empty "reply to thread" box?

I just click on the down arrow on the back arrow and select the previous page that I want.

Grunt
18th September 2005, 09:33 PM
hahaha...check this out Doggie breath

Who have you been sleeping with to get to the top?

Gumby
18th September 2005, 11:01 PM
Who have you been sleeping with to get to the top?

My monkey friend helped me out :D

Grunt
18th September 2005, 11:08 PM
So who is the giver and who is the taker?

powderpost
18th September 2005, 11:14 PM
I thank you all. I have learned a lot about using this site from this thread. I am a better woodworker than computer driver..... well I think I am anyway.

Jim

Gumby
18th September 2005, 11:17 PM
I thank you all. I have learned a lot about using this site from this thread. I am a better woodworker than computer driver..... well I think I am anyway.

Jim

Well you beat me, I've read it 3 times and still don't understand it ;)

DPB
19th September 2005, 09:35 AM
I just click on the down arrow on the back arrow and select the previous page that I want.

Barry, thanks, I like this idea even better than Gumby's. A greenie for you my friend!:D

Sturdee
19th September 2005, 09:46 AM
I hold down the shift key and click the left mouse button to force the new thread to open in a new window. When finished with that thread I close the window and the original window is there ready to continue with.

Easier and quicker. :D

Peter.

Ausworkshop
7th October 2005, 01:25 PM
Andrew look at the bottom right of the user CP "View all Subscribed Threads" is what you want http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I click "view all Subscribed Threads" which is up the top right on my window and it says folder empty. Who knows why?

At the moment it takes me about 2 mins and 50 clicks to return to a previous post which is so frustrating when there must be an easier way.

I tried searching for my name, this doesn't work either.
Just brings up one old thread that it manages to find with my name in it, not all of them.

There must be an easier way to return to a thread you post in.
Its ridiculous having to search through the member lists, find my name, click on my name, load up my profile, then click view all threads, then search through to find the last one, then click on it finally to load up the thread you were just in yesterday.

Please Help!! I hate using computers the wrong way when I know there must be an easier way.

Barry_White
7th October 2005, 01:50 PM
I click "view all Subscribed Threads" which is up the top right on my window and it says folder empty. Who knows why?

At the moment it takes me about 2 mins and 50 clicks to return to a previous post which is so frustrating when there must be an easier way.

I tried searching for my name, this doesn't work either.
Just brings up one old thread that it manages to find with my name in it, not all of them.

There must be an easier way to return to a thread you post in.
Its ridiculous having to search through the member lists, find my name, click on my name, load up my profile, then click view all threads, then search through to find the last one, then click on it finally to load up the thread you were just in yesterday.

Please Help!! I hate using computers the wrong way when I know there must be an easier way.

If you can remember a key word that is in the post type that into the search and it should bring up any threads that have that word.

Barry_White
7th October 2005, 01:55 PM
If you click on your own Avatar when in a thread that you have subscribed to it will bring up your details and there are two links. One will take you to all the threads you have subscribed to and the other one will take you to all the threads you have started.

Andrew

I dont know if you read what I posted in an earlier post but this is the easiest way to find all your own posts.

Ausworkshop
7th October 2005, 02:07 PM
Andrew

I dont know if you read what I posted in an earlier post but this is the easiest way to find all your own posts.

Yes this is if i am already in a thread with my name. My problem is If I boot up my computer the day after I posted in a thread then I can't find the thread I posted in easily. Using this method I still need to find my way into a thread with my name, just as easy to search for my name through the members list.

Searching for a keyword by looking through a long list of other threads that also contain that keyword seems to be yet another inefficient way of doing it, unless the thread has a very unique keyword. There has to be an easier way.

If you post in a thread does that mean you are subscribed to it?
It says I'm not subscribed to any.

Barry_White
7th October 2005, 03:19 PM
Yes this is if i am already in a thread with my name. My problem is If I boot up my computer the day after I posted in a thread then I can't find the thread I posted in easily. Using this method I still need to find my way into a thread with my name, just as easy to search for my name through the members list.

Searching for a keyword by looking through a long list of other threads that also contain that keyword seems to be yet another inefficient way of doing it, unless the thread has a very unique keyword. There has to be an easier way.

If you post in a thread does that mean you are subscribed to it?
It says I'm not subscribed to any.

Andrew

I just found the easy way into your profile.

Click on Quick Links up on the right and then click on my profile and that lets you click on all the threads started by you and these will be listed in the order they were last posted to by whoever.

Another thing have you set up so you receive an email whenever anyone posts to any threads you have subscribed to.

Ausworkshop
8th October 2005, 03:32 PM
Looks like that is the easiest way. Thanks for all your help

Fiddleback
27th November 2005, 09:37 PM
Easyest way would be to book mark it in your browser.

I do that with threads sometimes.:D