PDA

View Full Version : Sturdee’s Workbench.

Sturdee
17th September 2005, 08:51 PM
As some of my previous posts have shown, my workbench was in dire need of renovation and having bought a pack of flooring timber earlier this year, thanks again Bruce, I decided to totally rebuild the bench.

Originally I built my workbench in the very early stages of building the workshop (even before the floor was poured and with all the stumps still in place) and was made out of recycled timber and covered with a masonite top. Later a chipboard top was added and finally the stump in the middle of the bench was removed.

After removing the chipboard and planing the timber planks (150mm*65mm) I added 2 pine framing studs to increase the size of the bench and to allow easier installation of the 2 new bench vices.

Photos 1 –3 show the original bench with the studs and vices installed and photo 4 shows one of the new vices. The dark square in the centre of the bench is the opening where originally a stump was.

Peter.

Sturdee
17th September 2005, 08:53 PM
After installation of the 2 new vices I installed one of my old ones on the end to use as an end vice and then covered the surface with the hardwood flooring.

The finish is two coats of Ubeaut’s sanding sealer and finished with their traditional wax. As my bench is a workbench, and used for all kinds of work not just woodwork, this finish is good and quickly repaired if needed.

Photos 1 –3 show various views of the finished bench.

Peter.

Sturdee
17th September 2005, 08:57 PM
Whilst occasionally I have urges to revisit Dark Age techniques and would appreciate having dog holes most of the times the holes would be an inconvenience. Building on New Lou’s idea of using T-tracks, thanks again for that link Lou, I incorporated 2 sets of sail track at right angles near each front vice. This allows me to use a fence on the workbench, as well as holddowns, which together with a removable vice fence can be used to clamp timber as if I had dog holes.

Photos 1 and 2 show the details of the fences.

Photo 3 shows the end planing block.

Photo 4 shows the end vice system. The board can be used on any of the sail tracks giving maximum versatility.

Photo5 shows the Sturdee hold down (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7990) in use and clamped to the sail track.

Peter.

Sturdee
17th September 2005, 09:00 PM
For special vice work I made a number of pads that slip over the vice and bench, being a carpet face pad, a clamping face for round and odd shapes held vertically and also for clamping them horizontally.

Photos 1 & 2 show the front and back side of the face pads.

Photos 3 – 5 shows them in use, they can be used on either front vice.

Peter.

Sturdee
17th September 2005, 09:02 PM
Finally I mounted my metalworking vice on some blocks so it can be clamped onto the bench as required.

Peter.

Auld Bassoon
17th September 2005, 09:12 PM
G'day Peter,

That looks really excellent - but then how can a jig builder get by without a 'master' jig eh?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Seriously, the new w/bench looks a treat!

Cheers!

PS It would be interesting to hear how you find Lou's idea of using T=track (or sail-track) plus fences instead of traditional dog holes and hold-downs actually works in practice. I must say that when I first saw the pic with the T-track, I wondered what you were up to...http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

boban
17th September 2005, 09:15 PM
Once again Peter, absolutely no forethought and a completely crappy outcome as a result. :D

gazaly
17th September 2005, 09:57 PM
Pete, I'm sitting here watching The New Inventors thinking there should be a tv show called

The New Sturdee:D

E. maculata
17th September 2005, 10:13 PM
Now it looks like a proper woodworking bench Peter :) BTW nice timber

Sturdee
17th September 2005, 10:52 PM
PS It would be interesting to hear how you find Lou's idea of using T=track (or sail-track) plus fences instead of traditional dog holes and hold-downs actually works in practice. I must say that when I first saw the pic with the T-track, I wondered what you were up to...http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

Steve,

Lou posted a link to a guy who put about 8 T-tracks across his bench and has been using a similar system for a while. The 2 sets are adequate for my needs and is very versatile.

The fence on the workbench is clamped down using 2 bolts and will not move even when a board is clamped between it and the vice bearing in mind that pressure is applied along the whole of the vice ( 405mm ) not just a few dogs.

BTW it is easier to make than the holes and you can't drop small bits and screws down them. :D

Peter.

Sturdee
17th September 2005, 10:55 PM
Now it looks like a proper woodworking bench Peter :) BTW nice timber

Yes the timber is nice and the vice pads are from a structural pack. Most of the flooring pack is good and a bit of putty hides the minor faults.

BTW what timber is it.

Peter.

Wood Borer
17th September 2005, 11:55 PM
Very nice looking, practical and cleverly designed Peter.

Wild Dingo
18th September 2005, 12:07 AM
Well done mate! :cool:

But... yer shed scares the beejeesus outta me! I mean its soooooooooo.... soooooooo... welll.... sooo... tidy :rolleyes:

Weres the sawdust... wheres the disorder... the mayhem... the chaos :eek:

ooooooooohhh the pain :p

E. maculata
18th September 2005, 12:21 AM
Peter looks like a good deal of tallowwood and a few pieces of stringybark/mahogany thrown in the mix. :)

doug the slug
18th September 2005, 12:32 AM
nice bench peter, once again some ideas i can use

zenwood
18th September 2005, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the thread Sturdee. Couple of questions:

1. Doesn't work tend to slip in the carpeted jaws, leading to a requirement for lots of pressure?

2. Why not combine the vertical and horizontal grooves for holding round work in a single set of jaws?

Ian007
18th September 2005, 08:40 AM
nice work Sturdee, trying to get further ahead in the best shed stakes?

But I was wondering why you have 6 clock radios in the shed?

Cheers Ian :)

dai sensei
18th September 2005, 10:20 AM
Nice work Sturdee, as usual.

I have a metal vice which I was going to mount along my thinner second bench, but it would have meant I lost the use of its long length. Your idea is great, as it will allow me to remove it and continue to use both my benches.

junkboy999
18th September 2005, 01:42 PM
Nice Job Pete

Your old bench looks like my corner bench. I have a dril press, 2 grinders and 2 vices. The grinders and vices are to mounted because of the limited scape of working in the corner. i like your ideal and need to see if I can come up with some thing like that for my equipment.

Sturdee
18th September 2005, 02:53 PM
Doesn't work tend to slip in the carpeted jaws, leading to a requirement for lots of pressure?

As these jaws are removable I only use them if required. Sometimes when clamping finished or delicate items using the car[et jaws stop the work being marred. You can apply sufficient pressure without damaging anything.

In the past I used to slip some carpet ofcuts into the vice as the vice opening was only 100mm, however the removale jaws are much easier in use.

Why not combine the vertical and horizontal grooves for holding round work in a single set of jaws?

You could combine them but making separte ones is easier and quicker. Also I used ofcuts of chipboard and recycled pine framing, none of which cost me anything. :D

Peter.

Sturdee
18th September 2005, 02:58 PM
But I was wondering why you have 6 clock radios in the shed?

Cheers Ian :)

Ian,

I like to listen to the radio when in the shop, but changing stations on some of these little radios is a pain in the a**e.

Hence I have a number of them each tuned to a specific station and all I do to change stations is to turn one of and turn on another. A bit lazy but quick and effective and they cost me nothing compared to one of these fancy digital ones that cost $ 89. DAMHIK. :(

Peter.

Sturdee
18th September 2005, 03:02 PM
Nice Job Pete

Your old bench looks like my corner bench. I have a dril press, 2 grinders and 2 vices. The grinders and vices are to mounted because of the limited scape of working in the corner. i like your idea and need to see if I can come up with some thing like that for my equipment.

I mounted the other old small vice in another section of the shop and am making similar boards for mounting a couple of grinders on, so that they can be clamped firm whilst using them, so yes it will work for you with your grinders and drill press.

Peter.

bigboofhead
21st September 2005, 07:48 AM
Looks good, but way too clean. It could be an operating table. Where's the usual jars of screws/nails/glue/bits and pieces and crap that make a bench seem homely. Just jealous :-(
Makes me feel like going down and cleaning the workshop. Damm.
I only have 2 radios but for different reasons. When the crap piles up so much I can't get to the radio to turn it on I can go to the other one. Then it's time to clean up. The radio is really a gauge.

NewLou
21st September 2005, 09:22 PM
Gidday Sturdee:)

Well done looks like the new Bench has come together fine with all the functionality you had intended:D:D:D

Wondering if you are going to make some sliding Dogs for your T-track I'm interested in what solutions you might come up with!!!!

Also I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on a design for a Holddown??? I think from memory the red Jig you've designed is some kind of toggle clamp???

REgards Lou:D:D:D

Sturdee
27th September 2005, 07:25 PM
Lou,

I have been able to give the setup a good workout and find that the fences and the bench vice hold the timber firmly whilst planing. Hence I don't see the need for any sliding dogs as such. Even Derek has posted pics of his dogs and they span the lenght of 2 or3 dog holes.

The 2 paralel T-tracks is what makes it versatile and workable. Even if the timber is irregular shaped I think I still will be able to use the fence to clamp it.

The red hold down jigs work well and I also have 2 aluminum hold down clamps, similar to the small ones for the TS, so at this stage I am very happy with the setup and workbench.

In fact I like the bench so much that I've started resurfacing all the other work bench areas with that wonderful load of flooring timber. :D

This, and with a suitable floor covering the shop is finally starting to look like a real workshop. :) :) :)

Peter.

GCP310
27th September 2005, 07:46 PM
Great ideas, once again Sturdee.

Im going to poach the T track idea as a way to mount drillpress/bench grinder and make them easily removable.

G

DPB
2nd October 2005, 04:37 PM
Somehow, I missed this thread when first posted. Nice work, Peter.