PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Laurel

newbie100
17th September 2005, 08:57 PM
I recently (today) removed 2 trees from my yard to make way for a pool...
I have been told that it is good wood for woodturning and alike.
Is this true?
Is it worth anything??
Should i just give it away?

I also have a fire that i could cut it up for, but thought if it could do more than heating, then it would be going to a better cause...

Thanx

Andrew

soundman
17th September 2005, 09:20 PM
It accepted as an interesting timber.
how much its worth depends on how big the lumps are.
In any case in a raw inseasoned un milled condition not worth much.
In all most all cases the value in timber is in the processing.

I don't believe that it is considered a good firewood.
cheers

bdar
18th September 2005, 12:14 AM
Camphor Laurel is a great timber for bar tops, cabinet and jewellery box making and wood turning. It might be worth keeping for a table and seats for the new pool area. The more a log is processed the more value in the timber. If there is nice colour in it and you give it away a few nice bowls as payment for your generosity for letting the lucky person who gets it.

Moviefan
18th September 2005, 12:52 AM
<!--StartFragment --> Here are some facts about the Camphor Laurel tree which may be of interest.

Camphor has been used to treat ailments ranging from parasitic infections to toothaches. Scientific evidence has confirmed that chemicals in the plant have value in antiseptics and medications for treating diarrhea, inflammation, itching, and nervous conditions. Camphor wood is prized for its attractive red and yellow striping, amenability to woodworking, and insect repelling properties. It is light to medium in weight and soft to medium in hardness. Wood from the camphor tree is not especially strong, but it takes polishing well.

<!--StartFragment --> Camphor in large doses is toxic to humans. It stimulates the central nervous system and may affect respiration or cause convulsions. In Chinese medicine, camphor is forbidden for pregnant women and those with a deficiency of vital energy or yin.

I can confirm that insects hate the stuff. My Mum still uses some chips in her clothes draws to keep the moths etc away.

I have also heard that it is hard to burn. Its prolific and because of this is a listed pest specccies in queensland.

Might be worth the effort to make some furniture but the toxic to humans part might make me a bit cautious about making bowls that could be used to contain food?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

John

bdar
18th September 2005, 11:06 PM
It is true that Camphor Laurel is toxic to humans as is all other timbers that we use and turn. Dust, sap and bark from timbers can affect people differently, I have a violent reaction to Crows Ash. As for using Camphor Laurel for bowls it is perfectly alright, as to use them to serve food such as salads or hot foods or soups, I would not. I have turned many Camphor Laurel bowls, finished with Shellawax Cream, they serve well as a functional fruit bowl or just purely as form.

RufflyRustic
19th September 2005, 10:04 AM
If it's dry, it's not hard to burn. I've been tidying up my shed and have put some burnable scraps into our firebox. The only thing is it burns really hot and quickly. Ironbark is much better.

Andrew, have a look at my website (http://www.usq.edu.au/users/hoeyw) - there's a Camphor Laurel eatery bench picture there (in progress shot) and Squiggles coffee table. I find CL to be a great wood to work with. I've made two coffee tables, a kitchen dresser shelf unit - bottom still to come, the eatery bench, and intend on building a bar as well.

If you can, try working with some and see what you think.
cheers
RufflyRustic

Bodgy
19th September 2005, 10:36 AM
I had 4 x huge Camphor Laurel trees cut down. They are classed as noxious in Sydney and also will kill anything growing under or near them. Interestingly even after 12 years the old roots still send up suckers. Amazing, how can this happen. Trees need photo synthesis to survive? No sun underground, no leaves, how do they live? Bit scary really. Rot proof and immortal!

Anyway, I had them cut up for the wood stove. Bit disappointing, burn too quick, constantly feeding fire. I also tried turning this wood. Whilst I did achieve a result, the stuff is so soft that I kept tearing big chunks out. I now realise that my inexperience and chisels probably accounted for a lot of the problem.

It does make lovely timber for boxes and furniture. I still have one trunk that I keep meaning to turn into lumber.

Incidentally, (in Sydney anyway) you have problems disposing of. The tree guys wont take unless you pay extra cause they can't chip the timber as they usually do with loppings. Even the chips will sprout!

soundman
19th September 2005, 10:42 AM
Given camphor laurel's pest status & its favorability as a craft timber.
I personaly think that is every caring wood workers obligation to cut down and turn into objects of beauty any camphor laurel that could remotely endanger our enviroment. :D

See you can be a greeny and own a chain saw. HA HAAA HAAA HAAA (insert smylie with evil grinn)

cheers

HiString
20th September 2005, 01:25 AM
Newbie,

I may be interested in some, alternatively, I can probably put you in touch with local people who will put it to good use.

:cool:

barnsey
20th September 2005, 01:40 AM
Camphor Laurel is a cousin to the camphor wood of asia as far as I know and is less toxic than it's asian cousin. The tree is a pest because the seeds are spread by birds so very easily.

Camphor laurel loses it's distinct smell much more quickly than it's asian cousin.

Still I have a friend who built a kitchen with it up here from natural edged slabs and they haven't seen a cockroach or silverfish ever since!!!

Turns beautifully when dry, mills to board and box making stock, takes stains and finishes well. Tends to split out of the heartwood if you've got a blank that way - like jacaranda.

The smell when working it is delightful and I refuse to wear dust protection till I'm sanding - my perverse way of dealing with toxicity I know but it's a bit like the fat on a piece of grilled steak - to nice to ignore.

It's much better than firewood.

FWIW

Jamie

beiffe
21st September 2005, 10:29 AM
Also a good subsitute for laxets as it goes through me like nothing. 20 mins and off I go. Will not touch it now so just another side effect good or bad up to you

DanP
21st September 2005, 11:07 AM
Stop eating it then. :p

beiffe
21st September 2005, 11:51 AM
Just the smell is enough, just imagine if I ate it. Even a mask only prelongs the issue. Found that even if I cut it on the saw and stay in the room after cutting the lingering smell is enough. Use to cut it the last of the day and then put out side to vent, but now when someone offers it I say "NO THANKS"