PDA

View Full Version : Make a smooth edged rebate

Dengue
13th July 2017, 02:55 PM
I need to make a smooth edged rebate, as shown below, with vertical surface marked A to be smooth and ready for gluing. I have a router table and a set of dado blades on my tablesaw, but these blades do not give a smooth finish.

I would welcome any and all suggestions, thank you

Bohdan
13th July 2017, 03:04 PM
Nice and easy job for a router in a table.

rwbuild
13th July 2017, 03:06 PM
Side A is the router cutter, 10mm is the height of router bit above table

derekcohen
13th July 2017, 04:00 PM
Hi Dengy

I plane all my rebates with either a rebate (filester) plane or a plough plane. Then I finish the last mm with a shoulder plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chief Tiff
13th July 2017, 04:00 PM
A router cutter will give the best finish... for a machine joint. Depending which way you have the bit one edge will have "scallops" and the other "swirls". Scallops give the better finish for gluing, but neither are really optimal.

Personally I would use the router to remove the waste but then finish off with a hand plane; either a rebate, shoulder or a plough but if you don't have access to one of those then just use a sharp router and be carefull.

Tahlee
13th July 2017, 04:32 PM
I would do it on a table saw ... cut A with the board on edge and width the 6mm and height to 10mm ... and then the other cut with the board flat and the cut width of 10mm less the thickness of the blade and height to slightly less than 6mm

As long as you have a reasonable blade it will be fine for gluing.

Rob

aldav
13th July 2017, 05:29 PM
What rwbuild said. Use a solid carbide spiral bit for best results. Downcut would be best, but upcut should be very nearly as good. 6mm x 10mm is a big bite in one pass, but two passes should be OK.

Dengue
14th July 2017, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all the contributors with ideas and suggestions. For some unknown reason I was fixated on having the board lying flat. As you have pointed out, the easiest way is to have the board on edge and put it against the router table fence and run it past a straight bit 10mm high, and progressively move the fence to make a deeper cut with each pass.

Lappa
14th July 2017, 11:53 PM
Why not use a surface planing bit? They machine a smooth surface in two planes. You can keep your board flat
CARB-I-TOOL - Router Bit and Accessories Catalogue - NOVEMBER 2015 (http://envirocatalogue.com.au/Carbitool_Website_2012/Router_Bit/files/assets/basic-html/index.html#27)

Luke Maddux
15th July 2017, 06:15 AM
Remove the waste with your machinery. Either will do. Once the rebate is cut to size, or slightly undersized, use a shoulder plane to remove the machine marks. It is the perfect tool. Literally made for this application.