PDA

View Full Version : Supplier of Dremel 4000

KBs PensNmore
14th July 2017, 08:14 PM
Anyone know where I can get a Dremel 4000 power unit only. I don't particularly need another set of accessories, as I have more than enough.
Thanks
Kryn

Robson Valley
15th July 2017, 06:37 AM
In Canada, at least, it can be done.
Dremel 4000-4/36 is $98.00
Same motor unit and some accessories is $120.00.

Accessories? I don't even know what some of mine are meant to do.

Bendigo Bob
15th July 2017, 07:00 AM
Nup, all or nothing KB. My 3000 packed up and I sent to Bosch for repair. Too expensive,s o they kept it for parts. But I spoke to them too. It's either a kit int he retail store, with MORE accessories you'll never use :) or find a second hand one.

Robson Valley
15th July 2017, 07:22 AM
The next time around, I'll buy a 1/6Hp Foredom hanger flex shaft tool.
I can't justify the expense but it should out live my occassional use with no failure.
Dremel makes those as well. The rustic furniture shop down my street has at least 2 of them.

Ubernoob
15th July 2017, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't buy a second hand 4000, they aren't hard to kill, well mine wasn't. They would probably work well on 110V but I found mine got incredibly hot at lower speeds with very light loading.
I am using a $40 400W GMC spiral saw now, found it in the back of the cupboard and figured I'd give it a go, it has one speed and mountains of torque but is big and heavy!

Robson Valley
15th July 2017, 09:50 AM
I actually own a Dremel clone, the kit with 487 accessories ( hanger & cable, too). Carve branding irons in the 3/4" heads of 8" nails with cutoff wheels.
I think it runs better at higher rpm. Beginning to think that a Dremel 4000 is almost a throw-away motor.

For wood, I have a RotoZip (20k rpm?) and a Dremel Saw Max (30k rpm?), both of which are really a handful to guide effectively (gross understatement.)
The probelm for those is to find any accessories, even aftermarket stuff. Maybe the numbers aren't there to design and make anything for those speeds.

crowie
15th July 2017, 10:07 AM
Is this any help Kryn...maybe rebuild the old one??

Dremel 4000 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dremel-4000-variablespeeds-rotary-tool-parts-c-15440_15456_181516.html)

BobL
15th July 2017, 10:09 AM
I had the same problem and this is what I did.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f285/dremel-205373#post1952878

I have since seen a couple of old 4000s on power tool displays at older bunnings stores.

jazzy69
15th July 2017, 01:19 PM
Hi Kryn,
mytoolstore.com.au have armatures etc. They may sell the bare unit. Based in Aspley QLD and are good to deal with.
Regards,
Ross

KBs PensNmore
15th July 2017, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone for their comments and help. Sorry, I should have explained it a bit better in the original post. It isn't busted or have any problems, for a change. I'd like to get another one to put in the Dremel Router bench, as I'm sick of changing from Router bench to router/drill press and back again, I'd like it to be left set up with the 3 mm round over bit which is always being used in the bench.
I had a 300 series that lasted about 6 hours, but out of warranty. Be nice if they guaranteed something for XXX hours instead of X years.
Thanks again,
Kryn

forp
5th October 2017, 11:37 AM
I have a Dremel 395 bought at least 10 years ago when Bunnings was in Bourke St Melbourne. It's second set of brush which I believe on its last leg.

I use it fairly often with cut-off discs for cutting sheet metal when I am lazy to break out the angry grinder. The Proxxon is deployed for precision work like deblurring.

I know these tools cutting ability is able at high speed but I never run the tool at max, at most a click under max. If the tool bog down, your asking too much from the tool or you used too much pressure. Keep your hands away from the turbine vent holes. The fans cool the unit. If the tool bog down, there will not be enough cooling and there goes your motor.

If I were to start again, I would buy one of these 400W tool. They will chew through many things quickly. There is nothing special about the Dremel brand, besides massively overpriced bits. Proxxon is for precision work.

https://www.banggood.com/HILDA-220V-400W-Variable-Speed-Electric-Drill-with-76Pcs-Accessories-Electric-Grinding-Rotary-Tools-p-1171259.html

https://www.banggood.com/400W-220V-Electric-Drill-Grinder-Variable-Speed-Rotary-Tool-With-161pcs-Accessories-p-1101811.html?rmmds=detail-bottom-alsolike