PDA

View Full Version : Shop Built Machines Book

KBs PensNmore
17th July 2017, 12:00 AM
Picked up a book on making your own shop built machines from the local Salvation Army Store for a GOOD price. This book comes from Woodsmith, through Time Life Books. ISBN number 0-7835-5966-6
Most of the parts are made from wood, mainly Ply, but for a DYIer it should serve to do the job for quite a while, maybe a Family Heirloom even.
Bench Top Machines, consist of Jig saw Table, something they call a Plate Joiner Table (uses a Biscuit Joiner), and a Mortising Machine using a router.
Accessories and Add Ons are Bandsaw Fence, Drill press table, Sliding Table for a table saw, and an oscillating drum sander.
Shop Built Machines, Disc sander, panel saw ( vertical and Horizontal cutting) utilizing a hand held circular saw, slow speed grinder, and an edge sander.
Thought that the members on here may like the details of what's available. Under the copyright laws I can't put any plans on here, which is a pity, as there are some handy looking machines in this book.
Kryn

woodPixel
17th July 2017, 01:04 AM
Ply is no crappy material. I've been working with some people on rapid building construction ideas and laminated ply is being used everywhere. LVL is a brilliant material, plus there are architectural supply companies springing up everywhere that now use it extensively...e.g Polytec.com.au

These aren't your mums laminate kitchen cupboards!

our very own Dalejw seems to be a master of it judging from his beautiful website! Bespoke Furniture Design Perth | Rough Furniture (http://www.roughfurniture.com.au/)

thanks for the reference on the book. I'll look it up :)

KBs PensNmore
17th July 2017, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the link to Dales website, some real inspiration there.
I think a lot of people don't like ply because of the stuff hardware stores supply, usually construction grade, rough and not nicely finished.
Kryn

rob streeper
17th July 2017, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the reference. I found two on eBay for $6.24 each with free shipping (Woodsmith Custom Woodworking Shop-Built Machines, Time Life Books 0783559666 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/302378998106)). Now there's one available.

woodPixel
17th July 2017, 03:43 AM
Same seller wants USD$39.95 plus undisclosed shipping (contact us please!)

Ah, yes, the Australia-Tax applies.... Regional pricing is a sin.

Lappa
17th July 2017, 10:19 PM
Just bought a hard cover one through Amazon UK for 0.81p. Shipping was 8 x the price of the book:oo:
I think there was more available from different sellers?