PDA

View Full Version : woodwool for packaging

woodPixel
20th July 2017, 02:05 AM
Does anyone know how to efficiently make wood wool?

The thin stringy stuff often packed in with wine, chocolates, gift baskets, etc?

Obviously I dont want 500kg of the stuff, but just a manner to get a hunk of pine and turn it into packaging when needed.

I was thinking some type of toothed plane?

Here is a picture of the stuff.

KBs PensNmore
20th July 2017, 02:47 AM
I've seen some blokes able to make that stuff come off a wood turning lathe. I've not had much success trying to do it.
Found a you tube clip of how to make it with out spending several K's on a machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d9gx7FAkCk
Also found one for Wood Wool Tasmania Wood Wool Tasmania (http://www.woodwool.com.au/)
Hope this helps
Kryn

BobL
20th July 2017, 09:59 AM
A chainsaw will make a similar type of material when applied to the wood with the grain running parallel to the bar.
On a big saw, with a long bar and a bigger chain, you can make it so fast that it can jam the chain around the sprocket area.
The long strings of wood are called noodles or wood spaghetti.

richmond68
20th July 2017, 12:49 PM
If it were me I'd rather use the time and material to make something I could sell rather than shredding it for packing. Koch and Co which are almost next door to Carbatec Sydney sell the stuff for about $60 a 10kg bale plus GST, and 10kg goes a long way.

As a natural alternative you could use millet straw, I can buy that from local farmers in my area for about $10 a bale and at that price I wouldn't bother trying to make something. Shouldn't be too hard to get around Canberra, I believe the broom factory at Tumut still uses millet straw grown locally.

Chris Parks
20th July 2017, 01:14 PM
It would be a good way to get rid of unwanted off cuts.

auscab
20th July 2017, 03:01 PM
Chop a length off a wide Pine board and stick it through a thicknesser sideways so the straight knives are cutting across the grain. The wider your board the longer your cut will be . I had joined bits up and discovered this by accident just needing to thickness an off cut one day. Doing this would block my dust extractor straight away, I had to take it out by hand. It gives the springy long thin shavings that will work for what you want. I was surprised at how well it would do for stuffing a pillow when I first saw it.
Rob

GraemeCook
20th July 2017, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know how to efficiently make wood wool?

Spill plane; not sure about the efficiently requirement.

Graeme

woodPixel
20th July 2017, 05:08 PM
I saw and enquired about the 10kg bag of it. Its pretty big at 46cm x 36cm x46cm

It isn't that I don't want/need 10kg of it for $50, its more that I'd prefer to make it myself for some of the small things I make and wish to put them on Etsy.

They get really bubbly and excited over that kind of idiocy. Wrap something in recycled cardboard, with brown paper and pretty plant based ribbon, and some wood fluff and they go mental over it. Its complete frippery and a total waste of resources, but the "hipster" and "organic" movements have collectively lost their minds and have a new set of arbitrary acceptabilities. I need to over-pack to be... economical...

A 10kg bag would certainly do the job, but its probably made with slave labour and illegally harvested forests just to make wool. Its like the whole obscenity of Tasmania and woodchipping.

That video with the bandsaw method looks like a fairly scary thing!

What I was hoping for was maybe a toothed plane to use on a hunk of straight grained pine. I might dremel up one of my old crappy Stanley plane blades! Make it like one of those toothed roughing planes that seems so popular, but far more aggressive.

Lets see how it goes.

GraemeCook
20th July 2017, 05:30 PM
.....They get really bubbly and excited over that kind of idiocy. Wrap something in recycled cardboard, with brown paper and pretty plant based ribbon, and some wood fluff and they go mental over it. Its complete frippery and a total waste of resources, but the "hipster" and "organic" movements have collectively lost their minds and have a new set of arbitrary acceptabilities. I need to over-pack to be... economical...

Especially if the wood fluff is home made from treated pine.

Uncle Al
20th July 2017, 06:19 PM
Chop a length off a wide Pine board and stick it through a thicknesser sideways so the straight knives are cutting across the grain. The wider your board the longer your cut will be . I had joined bits up and discovered this by accident just needing to thickness an off cut one day. Doing this would block my dust extractor straight away, I had to take it out by hand. It gives the springy long thin shavings that will work for what you want. I was surprised at how well it would do for stuffing a pillow when I first saw it.
Rob

I hope the OP doesn't have a spiral head thicknesser. If he does, he will be a bit disappointed with this method!

Actually, it is a great suggestion, and should work pretty well. An alternative might be raffia, or the stuff they make sea grass matting from.

Alan...

tonzeyd
20th July 2017, 06:28 PM
If purchasing wasn't an option definitely recommend using a spiral head.

My jointer makes decently sized shavings that could be used for that purpose. Probably stick a grid or similar on the dust port to extract the fines out of it

richmond68
20th July 2017, 06:50 PM
Yes, I know what you mean about them going gaga over silly packaging. The wood wool Koch sell comes from NZ so it's not from illegal logging or slave labour, but it's not enviro friendly considering the shipping from there to here. Maybe you are overthinking it - they may go just as gaga over ordinary curly wood shavings used as packing, and you only need a hand plane to make them. If you clamp several narrow strips together in a vise it wouldn't take long to produce a small pile of thin curly shavings.

woodPixel
20th July 2017, 08:03 PM
My thoughts too!

Enfield Guy
20th July 2017, 08:52 PM
Remember that you are most likely paying 250kg per M3 for your freight to pretty much anywhere. Apply that to your $ rate per kilo.

Often an interesting exercise.

Cheers

Chief Tiff
20th July 2017, 09:38 PM
I like to make complex solutions to simple problems so here's my bid:

Make a plane blade with equal notches, just like a tilers notched adhesive spreader. Fit a fence to the side of the plane; similar to a jointer fence and set so the first "cutter" on the iron is the same distance from the fence as one of the notch widths. Then plane away until the notches bottom out and you can't cut any deeper; so now you have a pile of wood wool and a piece of timber with grooves/veins/reeds/flutes. Then swap to a second plane with a normal iron and plane away on the timber to bring down those reeds/grooves/whatever until a full width shaving appears. Swap planes again; repeat until sufficient wool has been formed. If you get both planes cutting the same depth you can alternate equal numbers of strokes; 10 strokes notched iron, 10 strokes plain iron, 10 notched, 10 plain.

Hmm; maybe not complex enough. Perhaps have a fence on both sides of the plane but one of them hard up to the iron, so now you take one shaving to the left fence, then one shaving to the right fence; left, right; links, rechts; sinister, dexter...

I now envisage a previously unthought of use for an Aldi wooden plane...! All joking aside; $15 for the Aldi plane, some timber scraps and a few screws will do it. Add about 10-15 minutes with a mini cut-off wheel or thin grinding wheel in the dremel and you're ready to wool up.

auscab
21st July 2017, 12:08 AM
I hope the OP doesn't have a spiral head thicknesser. If he does, he will be a bit disappointed with this method!

Alan...

Maybe he gets Confetti ??
I would be interested to see what a spiral head does to a sideways cut .

elanjacobs
21st July 2017, 05:16 PM
Maybe he gets Confetti ??
I would be interested to see what a spiral head does to a sideways cut .
Here you go. Sideways on the left, normal on the right. Timber is radiata pine, head is a SHELIX, depth of cut was about 1.5mm

Closeup of sideways

Closeup of normal

auscab
21st July 2017, 07:29 PM
Thanks for that Elan.

The Shelix normal looks more like confetti doesn't it !

Rob

dusteater
21st July 2017, 08:35 PM
Put some Sheoak thru the thicknesser today ,nice and soft.

DaveVman
24th July 2017, 11:36 PM
The original picture looks just like what I end up after 8 hours of trying to use my cheap hand plane on my assembly table on casters on a good day. But don't tell anyone...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

NeilS
25th July 2017, 01:07 PM
I've seen some blokes able to make that stuff come off a wood turning lathe.

I get dozens of garbage bags of it at a time to dispose of out of my workshop. People with chook houses like it. Gardeners are also keen to take it. See if you can find a local wood turner. I expect they would be happy to give you some, but you may need to separate out the fine dust from the curlies.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

NeilS
25th July 2017, 01:09 PM
A chainsaw will make a similar type of material when applied to the wood with the grain running parallel to the bar.
On a big saw, with a long bar and a bigger chain, you can make it so fast that it can jam the chain around the sprocket area.

And, don't I know it.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

woodPixel
25th July 2017, 01:24 PM
Dont get me wrong, I can generate sawdust by the bag like the best here! (I just ordered 20 more bags for the DC last night from H&F)....

What Im after is neat spaghetti :)

Nice and long, free of dust and reasonably "bouncy".

I think the toothed plane is the best option... if I get an old plane blade and dremel it with 2mm or 3mm wide combs, I'd say this might get me close.

The idea of using pre-cut veneers is a good one. I saw a video of a dude in india using his big machine doing exactly that. He wadded sheets into 5-inch thick sheaves and fed it in sideways... the machine positively spewed out wool.

The other idea, is of course, to make several boards 5mm wide, clamp them together and simply plane them with a moderate thickness set on the blade....

Its not rocket science and sure it can be bought by the bag, but I was hoping not to have yet-another-bag-of-something in the studio.... when I make one of my Robots or Doggos, I'd like to get some pine, zing off a few fistfulls of straw and pack them in for shipping.

Mobyturns
25th July 2017, 11:10 PM
Its simple to make! Efficient? Well that's another matter.

Simply cut thick veneers, say 3mm radiata pine, on the bandsaw; stack them three or four wide, or how many you think you can handle in one pass with extra an Weetbix or two and clamp in a bench vice; then use a hand plane like a Stanley No. 5 with a coarse setting and plane away. If you only want some for presentation or display purposes it saves having to store a box of the stuff so that the cockroaches, silverfish and other critters can have a field day.

One thing to keep in mind - if you are posting items packed in "wood wool" overseas you will quite likely run into problems with quarantine declarations. Finished wood items are generally OK, but raw wood waste is another matter.