PDA

View Full Version : Advice on repairing gutters

Geno
19th September 2005, 02:12 PM
I have several leaks in my guttering that I need to repair. The leaks are mainly where there are joins in the gutters, especially on the 90 degree bends around the corners of the house.
I have had a few goes with silicon, but without much success.

So;
Is a silicon (such as Selleys Silicone Roof & Gutter) really the go and I am simply not doing it properly? i.e I am a nuffy.

OR

Is there a better way? I have heard of bitumen based tapes that might be better, Searched this forum and didn't find specific names.
Also, has anybody tried the fibreglass stuff I have heard that you can get and if so is is a better solution?

Gumby
19th September 2005, 03:09 PM
If it's mainly the corners and they are old, why not replace the corners completely. Use silicon to fill the new joins. If the gutters are rusting through, save yourself some pain and replace the lot.

juliussee
19th September 2005, 03:42 PM
Make sure you clean the areas you want to silicone properly first.
Then apply a decent amount of silicone to cover the join and smooth it over with your finger, it should never leak.

Adrian

mic-d
19th September 2005, 08:43 PM
If its just a leaky joint I wouldpaint over the area and away to each side with a bitumen paint like ormonoid. BTW one of the bitumen flashing tapes is Selleys Flashtac. I wouldn't use it in a gutter tho', you don't want to be creating any pools of water if you can help it!

Cheers
Michael

ausdesign
21st September 2005, 04:59 PM
As said you can buy new premade corners to match your profile if they're RS
If your using silicone to repair the existing the joints need to be dryer than the sahara especially inside any overlaps. The silicone will 'bead away' if there's moisture trapped.
If its pop riveted i'd drill out the rivets, dry the joints with a rag, hair dryer or what ever to get a good seal.