PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up Recycled Timber

Pumpman
19th September 2005, 06:40 PM
Could anyone recommend a place in the Blue Mountains, Penrith NSW area that I can get small amounts of 200mm x 30mm recycled Oregon cleaned up. That is cut and trimmed to size. I dont have access to a thicknesser etc and would prefer to pay some one to do it then invest in new machinery etc as I am Just starting out in this woodwork caper

Andy Mac
19th September 2005, 08:29 PM
Cleaned up? Stripped, thicknessed...what exactly?

You're the closest! Unless you've stripped it & checked it out for nails etc no one else would touch it, I don't reckon. Certainly not for a small amount, something that could jeapardize their machinery and cost $.
A good exercise for you!:D

Zed
20th September 2005, 09:09 AM
Hi,

I'm on the north shore and I'd be willing to joint and thickness it for you, so long as there are no nails in your timber. If I think theres a nail iln it I wont run it thru. Note cutting to length is another matter - I dont have a drop saw or table saw, however if its oregon its easy with a hand saw anyway!

I'll charge you $1 a minute (machinary run time).

this will cover my time, wear and expense on my machinary.

how many linear metres do you have ?

you'll need to transport and clean up your timber - all paint, oils, finishes and nails will need to be removed prior to going thru my machine or I wont touch it. I'll also reserve the right to reject a length if I feel its a bit "iffy" - blades arnt cheap to buy or sharpen! :D

PM me if interested.

cheers

LineLefty
20th September 2005, 11:51 AM
Would anyone be willing to do the same in perth? I dont have a jointer/thicknesser and the novelty of squaring stock with hand planes is wearing off (sorry derek)

lesmeyer
20th September 2005, 12:13 PM
Would anyone be willing to do the same in perth? I dont have a jointer/thicknesser and the novelty of squaring stock with hand planes is wearing off (sorry derek)
Adam,
I am SHOCKED !!!

Les

LineLefty
20th September 2005, 12:33 PM
Well you know,

I prepared, scrubbed and jointed about 8m of jarrah for a coffee table top, aprons and legs and well, I know I can do it so the challenge is gone. I'm always anxious to get on with cutting joints,final fitting, smoothing or what not.

And with the current fudiciary restrictions, $1000 bucks on machinery is not possible.

Pumpman
20th September 2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Zed,
Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind.
Cheers,
Warren

doug the slug
20th September 2005, 09:26 PM
Well you know,

I prepared, scrubbed and jointed about 8m of jarrah for a coffee table top, aprons and legs and well, I know I can do it so the challenge is gone. I'm always anxious to get on with cutting joints,final fitting, smoothing or what not.

And with the current fudiciary restrictions, $1000 bucks on machinery is not possible.

I know what you are saying, LineLefty, we all have bits we dont like doing. obviously for you one of them is preparing stock, for me its finishing . im lucky my girlfriend takes over when the item is together and completes it very well