PDA

View Full Version : Wanted (NSW) Wabeco Drill Holder

NCArcher
9th August 2017, 08:35 PM
I need one of these. It's the drill holding clamp of a Wabeco boring and milling stand. I can get the part online from Germany but they don't post to Aus because we have a local agent. I've called him and sent several emails but he can't be bothered to respond. Just thought I'd ask if anyone had a spare or a damaged unit with a good clamp that I could buy. If I can't find one I will try and purchase one from Germany

Edit: Stoopid photos. Just turn your head sideways

FenceFurniture
9th August 2017, 09:17 PM
It's the middle pic you want, but preferably without the crack, yes? I don't think I have a spare but I can gave a look.

NCArcher
10th August 2017, 01:07 AM
Yes that one. I think I may have asked you about this before.

FenceFurniture
10th August 2017, 01:26 AM
Hmmmm. :think: It wouldn't be too hard to fabricate one, or even make one out of Spotted Gum. The hex hole can be circular, with a saw cut to close up and clamp, and a 43mm hole for the drill, with a saw cut to close up and clamp. What might get tricky is that the grain would be running in two directions, and therefore one of them might be prone to cracking under the clamping pressure (DAMHIKT). We could experiment with this if you want to bring it up (sometime when you're not flat out with work.......say any day of the week......)

NCArcher
10th August 2017, 10:30 AM
We could experiment with this if you want to bring it up (sometime when you're not flat out with work.......say any day of the week......)
You're confusing me with Fletty, SDM and yourself. I still work for a living (although I wish I could retire)
I've sent an email to Germany explaining that their Australian distributor is s#@t to see if I can buy one direct. I tried a repair with aluminium welding rods yesterday but no good. Will find a local mob that can weld aluminium and see what they say.
If all else fails we will have a go at a SG one. :2tsup:

KBs PensNmore
10th August 2017, 06:16 PM
You could post a thread on the Metalwork Forum, there are several on there that could possibly make it for you!!!
There have been several Woodies post on there for special brackets or something metalwork, that they couldn't do.
Kryn

NCArcher
10th August 2017, 07:53 PM
Thanks Kryn, I managed to get one from Germany. Postage was a bit steep but ..:shrug:

FenceFurniture
10th August 2017, 08:20 PM
Do you have a drill with a 43mm collar?

NCArcher
10th August 2017, 08:59 PM
I think so. I have a lot of drills.

aarggh
11th August 2017, 11:38 PM
If the new one is identical to the old one it seems not a great robust design, strange considering it's a European one, which I've usually found good. Might I suggest getting some largish silicon washers for a dollar or two on Ebay, and slipping the holding bolt through it. That way when you tighten it, the silicon washer will push out against the collar of the drill, helping secure the drill while not needing to tighten it quite so much it that might break over time?

I used a similar setup on a Proxxon spindle (with a 43mm collar which is pretty standard) for my CNC machine, and when it's compressed it grips amazingly well!

I also wouldn't toss the old one, it's very fixable.

cheers, Ian

NCArcher
12th August 2017, 01:49 AM
It was bent when I got it. I gave it a gentle nudge to try and correct it and it broke. I think it had been dropped.
I will see if I can get the old one welded but it is cast aluminium.

FenceFurniture
12th August 2017, 09:45 AM
.... strange considering it's a European one, which I've usually found good. The only thing European about these drill stands is the country they are posted from, and perhaps the grinding of the column. The rest originates from a place to our North North West.